Academia, Advice, Lifestyle

First week of college: dos and don’ts

Whether you’re a freshman or a senior, the first week of college can be overwhelming — full of doubts and apprehensions. This is a perfectly normal reaction to acclimating to a new lifestyle — even if you’re an upperclassman. 

There isn’t a step-by-step guide to inform you on how to have a cinematic first week of college. Experiences are subjective, and everyone is different. However, there are

Haley Alvarez-Lauto | DFP Staff

— academically, socially and mentally.

Do: Keep your schedule on your phone

Having your schedule on your phone is a lifesaver. Take a picture of it and make it your lock screen for easy access. Your schedule tells you where your classes are, so you can easily put the address in Google Maps if needed. You can also see the professors’ names. Keeping your schedule handy aids in a stress-free first week. 

Don’t: Let your feelings get the best of you

If your professors don’t give you a good first impression, you don’t make friends in your classes, or the content of your class isn’t interesting — relax and breathe. This is the first week of class. Allow for time to grow comfortable in your environment — after that, everything else will grow on you. Don’t let your current feelings ruin your goals.

Do: Get out of your room

Introverts — listen up. Leaving your room doesn’t mean you have to party every night or socialize every waking moment. It means changing up your surroundings and familiarizing yourself with new things. There will be many opportunities to stay in, but you should take the chance to stay in your room once you’re comfortable with your outside environment. 

Don’t: Procrastinate

Start and end your week with good habits. For example, do your homework before Sunday night. Do your laundry if you can tell your hamper is filling up. If you’ve been wanting to work out, head to the gym. Creating these little habits is imperative to a healthy college routine. Good habits set you up for mental stability, and being mentally stable allows you to achieve your goals.

Do: Put your best foot and face forward

Saying “stay positive” and “be nice” is so overused, but the intent is there. If you’re going to be honest with yourself, no one wants to talk to someone who looks angry and negative. Being a positive light in someone’s day creates an opportunity for socialization, for simply being kind. If being an approachable face isn’t working for you, don’t worry. You are doing everything right. Put your best foot forward and try again.

Don’t: Act like someone you’re not

Finding yourself in college is a true concept, but most people already have an idea of what kind of person they are and who they want to become. You know what feels right to you and what doesn’t. If you are feeling misunderstood and feel your personality is being watered down, you need to reevaluate your surroundings. Real friends should like you for who you are. It is never too late to change things — especially during your first week.

The beginning of college doesn’t have to be your make or break your evaluation of school. All good things come with time. Hopefully, you’ll have the best first week of college. If not, these tips can still apply to your college weeks ahead. Obstacles will come and go, but the only thing that remains constant is you. Know that your capabilities are endless and bad days do not last forever.