Lifestyle

I’m not mad, this is just how I look

Smaran Ramidi | Senior Graphic Artist

My primary mode of transportation is fueled by the energy of my own two feet, like many other Boston University students. Lucky for me, I have lots of energy as a result of my crippling coffee addiction. Oftentimes, I walk with a coffee in hand and confront Commonwealth Avenue with a look that could kill. 

For reference, on a good day, I’m 5’7”. On a bad day, I like to believe I’m an inch or two shorter due to my tendency to slouch. That said, if you ever see a towering cloud of anger blowing past you on your way to your 8 a.m., don’t fret — I’m just squeezing by. I’ll shamelessly trudge past you if you’re walking too slow — it’s the New Yorker in me.

I have what is commonly referred to as a “resting b— face.” It’s not something I can control and frankly, maybe that’s a good thing for an independent ambivert like myself. I thrive on the satisfaction of doing things alone. 

Since I’m not the most approachable person to grace the streets of Boston, I’ve found myself in situations where I’m hit with a “is everything okay?” and “why do you look so mad?” or better yet, something along the lines that insinuates that I should smile more. 

After all this time living with a resting b— face, I’ve found myself caught in the process of figuring out how to respond to these sorts of comments since “I’m not mad, this is just how I look,” doesn’t seem to cut it. It rather creates an awkward ambiance because it doesn’t sound believable.  

And while I’m partially self-conscious about it, I find it almost comical in a way, or at the very least ironic. While every day isn’t perfect, I generally like to think I view the world with an optimistic lens. I think my positive outlook on life is one of my most redeeming qualities. Nonetheless, the people of Comm. Ave. would never know at first glance. 

Maybe that’s okay, though. 

Once you get to know me, I’m what people call an open book. So, if this is the only thing correlating me to a woman of mystery, I’ll gladly take it.

Experiencing life with a resting b— face has its ups and downs. Granted, I’m only a young adult, so navigating the human experience is filled with newfound wonder, joy and disappointment. But one thing is certain — wherever I go and whatever I may be doing, I can guarantee you I won’t be doing it with a smile on my face. This is all to say that you probably shouldn’t assume someone is in a bad mood just because they may look like that on the outside. 

Maybe — just maybe — they’re having a fabulous day but suffer from the same demeanor I do. 

Food for thought.