Columnists, Hockey, Ice Hockey, Sports

Off the Post: NHL’s Pride Nights show insincerity for the cause

Two recent debacles have revealed the National Hockey League’s “Hockey is for Everyone” campaign leans more toward PR propaganda than a genuine attempt at inclusion. While the initiative has undoubtedly made positive change in the past, the recent actions of the Philadelphia Flyers and New York Rangers begs the question of its sincerity — especially in regards to the league’s support of the LGBTQ+ community. 

Alexia Nizhny/DFP STAFF

All 32 teams host a Pride Night throughout the season. This usually entails rainbow warmup jerseys and stick tape at the very least. The special event is supposed to show that the sport of hockey isn’t just for one type of person, and regardless of sexual orientation, there is a place for everyone — fan or player. 

These nights are important. The NHL has long been synonymous with the old boy’s club — it’s predominantly male, white and heterosexual. The league has to actively work to change the culture and norms of a power structure that has never really been threatened, and the impact of events like Pride Night feel mitigated when the buy-in is clearly inconsistent. 

The Flyers held their annual Pride Night at Wells Fargo Arena on Jan. 17 when they faced the Anaheim Ducks. The Flyers took the ice for warmups per usual, but defenseman Ivan Provorov was nowhere to be seen. It was later noted that because of his Russian Orthodox faith, Provorov opted out of wearing the rainbow jersey with the rest of his teammates. He proceeded to play over 20 minutes that night. 

“I respect everybody,” Provorov said after the game. “I respect everybody’s choices. My choice is to stay true to myself and my religion. That’s all I’m going to say.” 

Provorov refused to answer any more questions regarding his decision to opt out of participating in the Flyers’ Pride Night celebration. 

Flyers head coach John Tortorella — who is not one to shy away from sharing his real opinion — didn’t see anything wrong with Provorov’s unwillingness to participate in Pride Night. Following his group’s 5-2 win, Tortorella addressed Provorov’s absence.

“This has to do with his beliefs and his religion,” he said. “It’s one thing I respect about Provy: He’s always true to himself.” 

This is the same man who, while coaching Team USA for the 2016 World Cup of Hockey, said he would bench any player who did not stand for the national anthem. Doesn’t a player’s stance on the anthem — or more accurately, systemic racism in the United States — have just as much to do with individual beliefs and “staying true” to oneself as Provorov’s perspective on the LGBTQ+ community? 

While the majority of the Flyers wore the Pride Night jerseys, Provorov’s rejection of the event and Tortorella’s defense of him stole the headlines from a game that was supposed to uplift a minority community. It sent a message to young LGBTQ+ players and fans that there are people in professional locker rooms who do not accept them for who they are. 

The Rangers made matters worse 10 days later. Leading up to their Jan. 27 contest against the Vegas Golden Knights, the Rangers promoted Pride Night by saying they would be wearing special-edition rainbow practice jerseys.

Madison Square Garden’s iconic ceiling panels were lit up in rainbow colors, fans were given complimentary pride-themed fanny packs and the organization made an in-game donation to the Ali Forney Center, which helps homeless LGBTQ+ youth across the nation. Yet when the Blueshirts skated out for warmups, the anticipated Pride Night jerseys were nowhere to be seen. 

While the LGBTQ+ community was celebrated in other ways that night, the Rangers’ decision to forgo their rainbow attire left a bitter taste in many fans’ mouths — mine included. Two unidentified players later told the New York Post that there was no team conversation about wearing the jerseys and none of them knew why the decision was reversed. 

The Rangers released a statement following the flurry of Twitter fury that evening: “Our organization respects the LGBTQ+ community and we are proud to bring attention to important local community organizations as part of another great Pride Night. In keeping with our organization’s core values, we support everyone’s individual right to respectfully express their beliefs.”

No real explanation was provided. Were the Rangers trying to avoid controversy like the Flyers and decided that no one would wear the jerseys? If so, why not consult the players? Furthermore, why be so cowardly and not stand for equality — the fear that user12678038 might have something to say about it? 

If the NHL and the teams that make up the league truly want change and genuinely support the LGBTQ+ community, I can’t comprehend what’s so hard about donning Pride Night jerseys for 15-minute warmups. 

No one is asking these teams and players to skate out onto the ice and take a stance on gun control or abortion rights. It’s a simple gesture to show that, at the most basic level, we are all equal. That there’s a respect in the hockey world to freely be whatever you want to be. Whether intentional or not, The Flyers and Rangers discouraged this sentiment.

This is not an issue of freedom of speech or freedom of expression. It’s the NHL’s failure to enforce the expectation and standard that hockey really is for everyone. As of now, I’m not convinced that it is.