Lifestyle

High on mountains

Snowboarding’s debut in the Olympics opened up the gates to a bigger community — weed-loving snowboarders. The debate on marijuana commercialization was a never-ending topic among snowboarders because of the stigma.

Sports and marijuana are a controversial mix — how can psychedelia be compatible with physical activities? The proof point is that cannabinoids are prohibited during the in-competition period for all athletes, listed by the World Anti-Doping Agency. The specific substance of abuse is specified as tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), not cannabidiol (CBD).

Chloe Patel | Senior Graphic Artist

The study of CBD versus THC is another conversation for scientists. What matters is how you react to marijuana.  

If you feel good while high, have trust in your board, the snow and whatever forms of marijuana are in your hand, consider these Northeast resorts as your next snowboarding destination.  

Killington

Located in Killington, Vermont — this huge ski resort presents you with long gondola rides for a hot boxing session. Green and blue trails on Killington make up 57 percent of the 155 trails, which gives less intimidating options for a stoned snowboarder. The goal comes down to making the most out of the 73 miles of snow trails — lengthening your high rides with the New England scenery. Central Vermont puts down more snowfall in Killington, where the past two seasons reached over 200 inches. No snowboarder can resist the fresh snow and smoke duo.

Crotched

An hour-and-a-half drive from Boston leads you to a small mountain crossing Francestown, Bennington, and Greenfield in New Hampshire. The short lift ride and trail make for a fast lap, perfect for tight schedules and go-getter smokers. Crotched is one of the few northeast mountains that offer night skiing. Midnight Madness is a Crotched tradition, where the mountain operates until midnight on selected Saturdays. In the dark, lift operators won’t take a second glance at the pen in your hand, so why not spend a high ride under the stars? 

Mount Snow, Carinthia Park

Mount Snow has been a weekend trip stop for many city dwellers in the Northeast. The 100 acres of Carinthia Park terrain is perfect for daredevil weed smokers. A warm wind-down is available at the fireplace in the Carinthia Lodge after passing the high on the ski jumps. Inside you can fuel some weed if needed, but be ready to pick up the adrenaline for another round.

With or without weed, always remember to be smart when snowboarding. Start small, make a plan, always look and take it easy.

1. I find it troubling how the author fails to acknowledge the fact that intoxicated skiing or snowboarding jeopardizes the safety of others on the slopes. Skiing or snowboarding while high and then colliding into someone is a recipe for civil litigation and and is a personal injury lawyer’s dream come true.

Interestingly enough, unlike the Colorado Ski Safety Act, neither of the equivalent New Hampshire and Vermont skier safety laws make reference to intoxicated skiing. Per the Colorado law: “No person shall move uphill on any passenger tramway or use any ski slope or trail while such person’s ability to do so is impaired by the consumption of alcohol or by the use of any controlled substance, as defined in section 12-22-303 (7), C.R.S., or other drug.”

Furthermore the author fails to reference the following smoking policies for the ski mountains they mentioned. While only Killington outright bans smoking and vaping, these nonetheless seem like relevant policies to include in this article. The following are direct quotes from each of the aforementioned ski mountains’ websites:
    – Killington: “As of winter 2020-21 Killington is now a smoke free resort. Smoking and vaping are prohibited in all resort areas, except parking lots.”
    – Crotched: “we ask that you not smoke or vape in areas where there is a large concentration of people”
    – Mount Snow: “we ask that you not smoke or vape in areas where there is a large concentration of people”