Lifestyle

Understanding the impact of flowers

My entire life I’ve always had fresh cut flowers in my home. They’re placed in a crystal vase that reflects the sun’s light into scattered rainbows across my kitchen table. Along with the living flowers is the dead. Dried out flowers are able to live on as they are positioned in a pottery made wall pocket vase, next to the back door of my childhood home.

Flowers are the easiest way to freshen up your day and bring cheer and welcome into any space. When I arrived on campus for the fall semester at Boston University, my first task was to purchase fresh flowers from a market in Beacon Hill. I placed them in an old reused mason jar next to my new desk and felt the warmth of color flood the room with vibrancy.

Chloe Patel | Senior Graphic Artist

Along with purchasing flowers for your own space, gifting flowers can be something for the special people in one’s life. The pure gratitude of someone who receives flowers is something incomparable to anything else.

I have first hand experience seeing the power of nature through working at Russell’s Garden Center in Wayland. Currently run by the fifth generation, Russell’s is a family-owned business that was established in 1876.

Moving forward, Russell’s Garden Center specialized in wholesale cut flowers which were sold to florists around Boston. Now, Russell’s has grown to offer a myriad of different types of plants, landscaping supplies and decorations with customers traveling from near and far. 

While working in the nursery department, my job is to transport seedlings from plug trays into larger pots. From there, I place a tag with the plant type into the soil along with a price tag. 

One of the rewarding parts of this job is coming into work each day and seeing the seedlings further grow and flourish into beautiful plants and flowers of all different colors and sizes.

From the spirited community and beaming environment, to the friendliness of the staff, Russell’s Garden Center is the place to be. 

Their Flower Shop can be reached by telephone at (508) 358-2283, where custom bouquets can be ordered ahead. They are open and can be reached daily from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. or visited on their website at russellsgardencenter.com for more information.

For sorrow, celebration, sympathy or love, flowers provide consideration and comfort. Flowers bring radiance to people and have a strong impact on emotional wellbeing.

As the spring season emerges, look for flowers around you in nature. The beauty and warmth is everywhere.

With such a simple gesture comes great meaning, sometimes more powerful than what words alone can express. So, if you ever find yourself questioning if you should get flowers for someone or not, the answer is simply yes.