Field Hockey, NCAA, Sports

Field hockey beats University of New Hampshire 3-2, maintains home win streak

Boston University field hockey defeated the University of New Hampshire 3-2 on Friday after scoring a thrilling pair of goals three minutes apart in the final phases of the game.

Boston University senior midfielder Thalia Steenssens (24) in a game against the University of New Hampshire in April. The Terriers beat UNH 3-2 on Friday at the newly renovated New Balance field. MOLLY POTTER/DFP PHOTOGRAPHER

“I can’t be more proud of this team and the grit that they showed,” head coach Sally Starr said. “UNH is an outstanding team. They really made us really work hard defensively.”

Both teams came into this matchup on two-game win streaks and applied pressure from the start in the non-conference matchup. UNH (9-4) opened the scoring in the 13th minute when sophomore forward Tasmin Cookman found the ball and scored off a rebound above the right post.

The Terriers (7-5, 2-1 Patriot League) fought back and snagged a goal with fewer than 10 seconds to go in the first quarter after senior midfielder Thalia Steenssens ripped the ball into the left side of the goal.

Although the Wildcats received three penalty corners in the first half, they did not convert any of those opportunities, while BU pushed to get back into the circle at every available chance. 

After entering the second half tied up, UNH pounced on an opportunity six minutes into the third quarter, which saw freshman midfielder Addison MacNeil score her first career goal for the Wildcats. 

UNH’s defense stayed solid through the end of the third quarter, but the Terriers could not say the same, having given up nine shots to that point.

In the fourth quarter, however, BU turned the game around and turned the heat up, scoring two goals in less than three minutes to win the game. The Terriers’ defensive intensity heightened as they pressed harder and shut down the middle of the field to maintain control of the ball in key moments. 

BU junior midfielder and back Tegan Poerio shined, recording an assist on the first Terrier goal of the final frame and scoring the second herself with under seven minutes to play. That goal, which would ultimately be the game winner, was her first since her freshman year.

“She’s a smart player in the right place at the right time,” Starr said. “Those opportunities are going to come, and she took advantage of it today.” 

Senior goalkeeper Kate Thomason also stood out, keeping the Terriers locked in and holding down the cage throughout the game, making three saves.

“We talked about getting outcomes in our attacking third and that’s probably the biggest thing we’re going to be really working on,” Starr said.