Lifestyle

The reusable water bottle obsession – how many are too many?

Last week, I lost my favorite reusable water bottle.

Haley Alvarez-Lauto | Senior Graphic Artist

While I was on the search for a new cup at my local Target, I took a step back from the rows of Owala water bottles and realized I already own multiple other reusable cups –– there was no need for me to purchase a new one. 

I walked home without a new water bottle and went to my kitchen cabinet to grab one of my older cups. When I opened my cabinet, it seemed to be filled to the brim with water bottles I collected over the years – each representing a different social media trend. The water bottles ranged from Hydro Flasks decorated with personalized stickers, a Stanley cup and numerous Starbucks insulated venti cups, each seasonally decorated.

As I went to reuse one of the many reusable cups, I wondered, why did I keep so many water bottles?

And why do I always feel the need to purchase a new cup as new trends arise? 

The more I thought about my collection of water bottles, the more I realized the collection of each bottle had very little to do with an effort to combat single use plastic, and it had more to do with the desire I have to keep up with current trends. Everytime a new water bottle is promoted by influencers, I feel a compulsion to buy the newest water bottle –– even though it serves the same purpose as the ones I already own. 

Like many of my friends, I tend to use the same water bottle everyday, while all the others sit in my cabinets after each trend cycle of water bottles ends. Choosing a reusable water bottle is a simple task, but continuing to use the same reusable water bottle as new trends pass by poses a bit of a challenge for me. 

As fads come and go, I find that it is better for me to remove the pressure of having the perfect travel cup and focus on the point of a reusable water bottle – to cut down on the consumption and use of single use plastic. 

In a way, it’s a good thing water bottles are promoted by such a sense of trendiness because people are more inclined to ditch single use plastic bottles for good when they find a water bottle that works for them.

In fact, the consumer demand for reusable water bottles increased steadily over the past few years, with a growth rate projected to increase steadily through 2032. 

However, buying a reusable water bottle shouldn’t be a stressful task –– the bottle’s purpose is ultimately to help combat single use plastics and doesn’t need to be a fashion statement or a reflection of your ability to keep up with current trends. 

And as for buying new water bottles from time to time, it’s always good to have a backup.