Lifestyle

A fresh start | It Smells Like…

One element is non-negotiable in my morning routine: perfume.

Lila Baltaxe | Senior Graphic Artist

I wear it as often as my puffer jacket during the Boston winter or an accessory that completes my outfit. It’s truly indispensable. On sunny workout days, I opt for scents with citrus or orange blossom notes, and on crisp winter days a musky scent is my choice. 

Scents are like clothes, evolving with the change of every new season and occasion.

I became aware of the concept of having a “signature scent” through my mother. I vividly remember her perfume: “CHANEL CHANCE EAU FRAÎCHE,” a round, green bottle whose scent became absorbed by almost every blouse and dress she owned. 

In my childhood, when I only knew a few adjectives, I categorized the scent as, “the smell of mom.” CHANCE describes it as, “a woody floral-sparkling expression of CHANCE.” The ingredients,  citron, jasmine, or teak wood, are far from what I would expect from a maternal figure. 

Nevertheless, the scent complimented her quite well as an individual, apart from her role as my mom. While a scent can be associated with various things, my memory of her perfume is intimately connected to bedtime stories and drives to school, two experiences I shared only with my mom. 

Scents are often nostalgic, which can sometimes prove to be overpowering. The emotional triggers in scents are unconsciously formed whether we connect them to a person, a moment, a feeling or an image. 

I imagine Maison Margiela, the founder of REPLICA a story-like collection of perfumes would agree with me. 

The names of the REPLICA perfumes pay homage to a series of daily encounters and experiences, which are revived by replicating their scents.

To me, the scent “By the Fireplace” smells like the air after Thanksgiving dinner, filled with chit-chat and family. 

“Lazy Sunday Morning” brings me sunbathed tranquility the same way freshly laundered white sheets do. 

Both examples conjure immediate associations that pay a nod to their titles. Although interpretations of these fragrances may vary, there is a shared experience lingering deep within the scent. These feelings transcend just smelling good and fresh they’re mentally ingrained. 

I’m keen on the paradox of perfumes for being personal yet universal. Each spritz can mean something different based on the time in my life. 

Whether it’s preparing for the day, gearing up for the night or indulging in personal pleasures,  every occasion calls for a special scent. These meaningful olfactory sensations have the power to bring a distant person near, like how I am reminded of my mom when I smell her signature scent.  

The non-verbal communication from scents can be exceptionally powerful. The true magic lies in the composition of scent ingredients — Just as how words come together to form sentences, the composition forms not just a pleasant fragrance but long lasting stories and memories.