Lacrosse, NCAA, Sports

Men’s lacrosse sets program records, beats Vermont in home opener 18-8

The Boston University men’s lacrosse team broke program assist and scoring records while securing a 10-point win over the University of Vermont, 18-8.

Graduate attacker Vince D’Alto (11) controls the ball in a game against the University of Vermont on Saturday. D’Alto became the program’s all-time leading point producer during the home opener, leading the Terriers to an 18-8 win over the Catamounts. ISABELLA JONES/DFP PHOTOGRAPHER

In the first period, both teams scored and responded equally. By the end of the first half, the Terriers (2-0) dominated the field, while the Catamounts (0-2) trailed throughout the game.

“Our guys played up to what we want them to play to, and I thought we had great energy,” head coach Ryan Polley said. “I thought we had great execution and it was just a really solid win for the program.”

Two minutes into the game, junior attack Brenden Kelly hurled the ball into the net and sparked momentum for BU in their first home game of the season after defeating St. Joseph’s 14-10 on Tuesday. 

Graduate attack Louis Perfetto found his counterpart graduate attack Vince D’Alto for a goal that put the Terriers up 3-0. After a save from Catamount senior goalie George Egan, Vermont countered with a goal of their own.

But then, the Terriers responded with a second goal from Kelly, this time assisted by Perfetto, who broke the program assists record with a total of 105. 

“I try not to think about [records] too much going into the game,” Perfetto said. “The number one priority for us is just winning and getting better every week.”

With 30 seconds left in the first period, graduate attack Thomas Niedringhaus pushed forward and lobbed the ball into the net, keeping BU in the lead 5-3.

The Terriers followed an exciting first period with another program record. A goal from D’Alto early in the second shattered the BU record for career goals with 220.

“[Perfetto and D’alto] are incredible people,” Polley said. “They work incredibly hard and I couldn’t be more happy for them to have these honors. They certainly deserve it.”

Throughout the second period, the Terriers commanded the scoreboard. They scored three times in the span of 90 seconds, growing their lead to 8-3. Perfetto and D’Alto partnered again for that third goal — a play they slung back and forth to each other until D’Alto sliced the ball into the net.

“Me and [Perfetto] have been playing together for a really long time now and our chemistry has never been stronger,” D’Alto said. “I look for him, he looks for me. And we don’t really worry about records.”

By the second half of the game, Vermont trailed but did not let up. Egan blocked the ball for a total of 18 saves, while his team only let BU score two goals in the third period.

However, while the Terriers had 16 turnovers, they forced 27 turnovers by the Catamounts.

After a single goal from Vermont in the fourth period, BU hustled, cleared and scored four more goals, with D’Alto scoring the last two, growing their lead to double digits.

“This team is very close,” said D’Alto. “We have been through thick and thin together, and we just want to be the best we can be. We’re going to take every single day, every single step forward and just make plays and have fun out there.”

BU will next face America East tournament champion Bryant University on Friday at 4 p.m.