Basketball, Basketball, NCAA, Sports

Women’s basketball falls short to Bucknell in a contentious conference bout

The Boston University’s women’s basketball team lost to Bucknell University 71-60, despite an impressive first half.  

Senior guard Sophie Beneventine (40) handles the ball in a game against Bucknell University on Saturday. The Terriers lost to the Bison 71-60 at home. ANDREW BURKE-STEVENSON/DFP PHOTOGRAPHER

Freshman guard Audrey Ericksen sparked the offense with a three-pointer to put the Terriers  (13-9, 5-6 Patriot League) on the board. The Bison (8-14, 5-6 PL) quickly replied with a layup by sophomore forward Grace Sullivan, to which Ericksen responded with another three-pointer to put BU ahead 6-2.

After two layups made by senior guard Caitlin Weimar and sophomore forward Anastasiia Semenova, the Terriers had a six-point lead midway through the first quarter.

It was a fast-paced, back-and-forth affair, with both teams pushing the speed of the pace on offensive. 

Turning up the heat, senior guard Kelsi Mingo connected on a three-pointer to start the second quarter. Bucknell quickly returned the favor with a three-pointer by sophomore guard Sophia Sabino. 

Sharp shooter senior guard Alex Giannaros continued with a three-pointer of her own, contributing three of her team-high 16 points. 

Senior guard Sophie Beneventine was also making noise offensively, putting up four points in the last five minutes of the half, keeping the Terriers ahead with a five-point lead. 

By the end of the first half the Terriers were up 39-34 and had made seven of 12 three-pointers, three of which were made by Mingo, including one at the shot-clock buzzer, igniting the crowd. 

“At this point in the season, you really have to buckle down and lock in and I didn’t think we did that defensively,” BU head coach Melissa Graves said. “I thought we had a really good first half offensively.” 

Though the energy was high in the third quarter, the Terriers let up 27 points and only scored seven of their own. 

Beneventine had a total of four rebounds and five assists, keeping the Terriers in the game.

Weimar controlled both sides of the ball, leading the rebounding effort with nine boards and rejecting three shots. 

“Me and [Weimar] play really well together and I’ve loved playing with her,” Giannaros said. “It’s hard because she draws so much attention to herself being the player that she is, that helps me get open shots.”

Giannaros made two more three-pointers about a minute apart. The Terriers still trailed the Bison after a disappointing third quarter, but their determination was evident. 

Late in the third, BU struggled to make up for the three consecutive threes made by the Bison, effectively putting the game away. 

“I think learning by experience is a piece of it, trying to adjust and not doing the same things over and over that are hurting us … but I think it’s a collective piece” Graves said . 

The Terriers unfortunately were unable to make a comeback but the outlook is still high on rest of the season and the postseason.

Up next, the Terriers host Army on Wednesday at 6 p.m. 

1. Nice article, really captured the spirit of the game.