Lifestyle

Spring break: Going home edition

Welcome back everyone, I hope you all had a wonderful spring break, whether you went somewhere in Europe, the Bahamas or if you just went home.

I’m here to share that I went home, and I loved it. Every. Single. Second. 

Well, every single second might be an exaggeration. I didn’t love having to wash the dishes or take the trash out again — thanks Mom. However, I did enjoy most of the trip. 

It started as most of my trips home do: a four-and-a-half hour Amtrak ride from Boston to New Jersey. Then, there is always another two hour drive to my middle-of-nowhere town named Lehighton, Pennsylvania. 

I looked forward to a week full of city-less bliss. I couldn’t wait for the hours of uninterrupted silence, completely devoid of Boston drivers honking their horns at ambitious pedestrians who decide to make a run for it during a green light. Alas, I digress.

Annika Morris | Senior Graphic Artist

I went home to my quaint town and spent seven relaxing days sleeping in my full-sized bed. You heard me right, full-sized. Not the twin-XL mattress of discomfort that we’re given in our dorms. 

I think it’s safe to say that I was soaking it all in. 

I was getting home-cooked meals every night from my fabulous mother, sleeping for a full ten hours each night and doing what I do best: rotting at home. 

During one particular euphoric hour of rotting, I decided to scroll on Instagram. Which is where a new problem arose. I began to see all of my friends at their select tropical spring break destinations, seeming like they were having the time of their lives. 

Yet there I was: two seasons deep into “New Girl,” laying on a 10-year-old couch and feeling FOMO because I decided to go home rather than exploring an exciting tourist destination. 

While I consciously made the choice to go home for spring break, I couldn’t help but feel a bit of contempt over everyone making all of these notorious college spring break memories. 

I quickly swiped off of Instagram and told myself that I was not going to mope about going home from break, because there’s nothing to mope about. I did more than just sit at home on the couch for seven days — even though there would be nothing wrong with that if I did.

So, to anyone that might want to spend their next break at home and is not sure what to do while there, here are a few ideas!

Catch up with hometown friends 

While not everyone chooses to stay in touch with their friends back home, try your best to make time to see what they’re up to these days if you still consider yourself to be close with them. 

Some of the best memories that I have from this break are with my closest friends from home — shoutout to Emma, Faith, Ava, Isa, Natalie, Brielle and Koy. I definitely encourage seeing your hometown friends — as long as they don’t suck — whenever you get the chance. If they’re anything like mine, then you know that there’s never a dull moment when you’re around them.

Get outside!

March is that odd month where a day’s forecast can range anywhere from 35 F and flurry to 70 F without a cloud in the sky. On the off chance that you are graced with a 70 F beautiful spring day, make the most of it! 

Two of my friends and I decided to go on a hike up Mount Tammany in New Jersey — a 3.6-mile loop that consisted almost entirely of vertical walls of rock. This was not exactly what we envisioned when we planned the excursion. However, when we reached the top of the mountain, that hour and a half of what felt like the most strenuous rock climbing was instantly worth it. 

From the laughs we shared on the way, to the picnic we enjoyed at the top of the mountain, the hike was something that I’ll never forget and is something that I will definitely do again. 

Eat at restaurants that Boston doesn’t have 

Now, I know Boston has many great eateries, but there are some places that Boston just doesn’t have. So, when you go home, make sure to check out any restaurants that our good ol’ city may not offer. 

Coming from a pretty small town, most of the restaurants are family-owned businesses that are one-of-a-kind. If you’re anywhere close to the Pocono area of Pennsylvania, you won’t regret stopping by the best bagel shop known to man: Perch (it will always be Bagel Bunch in my heart). Oh, and I can’t forget Myst, my favorite Japanese-hibachi restaurant. 

While I might plan to go somewhere new for next year’s spring break, I’ll never forget that spending spring break at home is still a completely viable and enjoyable option. To anyone who struggled with not going anywhere for spring break, please don’t feel like you have to go galavanting on some lavish, extravagant trip just for the sake of saying you went. 

The best spring break destination may just be your home address.

1. Nermis Falcon (Wendy)

Congratulations Gabriela. Good job!!. I’m very proud of you . God bless you !!