Lifestyle

Can’t find love? Try LinkedIn

Founded in 2002, LinkedIn is currently the world’s largest professional network. The site allows users to show off their experience, learn new skills, help employers discover their new recruits and promote their companies.

Annika Morris | Senior Graphic Artist

However, it turns out there’s room for more than just professional networking.

A few months ago, I remember feeling so proud when I told my dad that I’d created my LinkedIn account. For me, it was a step into the big leagues. LinkedIn symbolized a place where I hoped to make something of my hard work, and I quickly got lost looking at the lists of future jobs at my dream companies. Applying was now just a click away.

I put time and care into making my profile as aesthetically pleasing and representative of who I am, as I always do with my endeavors. I was — and still am — so excited whenever I had the opportunity to add a new position that I’d gotten.

Little did I know that this seemingly pompous app could give me opportunities I would have never imagined. After receiving a direct message on TikTok from my best friend, I discovered that LinkedIn had become a dating haven. The topic seems to have flooded TikTok, so I’m still learning about all the crazy strategies for finding love on the site.

This method, though, isn’t about finding a fling or a one-night stand. On LinkedIn, people date to marry and check if their hallway crush is as smart and ambitious as he is charismatic. 

As traditional dating apps become increasingly saturated with superficial swipes and fleeting connections, users are turning to LinkedIn in search of something more substantial. 

What sets LinkedIn apart is its focus on professional identity and accomplishments, offering a deeper glimpse into a person’s lifestyle beyond the typical dating app bio.

Whether you’re looking for your own Dr. McDreamy or you prefer a sexy lawyer like Elle Woods — don’t worry, the site’s design makes your search as easy as one, two, three. All you have to do is use the filters provided by the application. From education to industry and state to country, your perfect match is most likely already on LinkedIn. 

Trust me, there are some great eligible bachelors on there, but make sure you’re in private mode, or you’ll be at risk of the person who you’re admiring being notified that you’ve stalked their profile.

Although LinkedIn seems to be a good way to identify compatible matches, I personally don’t think it’s the ideal place for connecting with them. There’s a fat chance that you come across as a desperate creep. I’ve already received a few messages from suspicious profiles and have immediately blocked them.

While LinkedIn can offer a unique avenue for meeting potential partners, it’s essential to approach the platform with caution and respect. Remember that LinkedIn is first and foremost a professional networking site, and using it for dating purposes requires navigating a fine line between personal and professional boundaries. 

Instead of ruining your chances by direct messaging someone on LinkedIn, it may be wiser to look for them on another, more social app such as Instagram to make your introduction more natural. 

This new phenomenon makes me wonder: Are people truly so desperate that they turn to a job-hunting app to find a date? 

One undeniable observation is that the pandemic has reshaped how people interact and socialize, with many turning to virtual dating platforms during lockdowns. Especially today, when social media has made it easier to meet people, relationships seem much more superficial, so perhaps the site can be a valuable helping hand to building more authentic connections. 

I also believe that the rise of self-growth and “achieving the best version of yourself” mantras have caused many people to re-evaluate their priorities and what they’re looking for in a partner. 

People are busy focusing on themselves and getting ahead in their careers, so they aren’t as willing to waste time on countless trivial dates. It seems that people may be more inclined to narrow their search to find people who are more likely to be intellectually and professionally aligned with them. 

Still, I think that LinkedIn could potentially be a valuable matchmaking tool, if used subtly. There’s nothing wrong with checking out your crush’s profile to see if the best way to flirt with him is to talk about varsity sports or initiate a meet-cute in front of their research lab. 

If used the right way, with its focus on shared values, goals and aspirations, LinkedIn has the potential to foster meaningful connections that extend beyond just physical attraction. LinkedIn romance can offer a refreshing alternative to the often superficial world of traditional dating apps.

Who knows? Your next great love story could just be a connection request away.