City Council declares October Domestic Violence Awareness and Prevention Month

Boston City Council passed a resolution recognizing October 2024 as Domestic Violence Awareness and Prevention Month during its Wednesday meeting at City Hall Plaza.

Boston City Hall. Boston City Council members discussed recognizing October as Domestic Violence Awareness and Prevention Month and holding a hearing about the City’s resources for survivors. ANDREW BURKE-STEVENSON/DFP PHOTOGRAPHER

City Council President Ruthzee Louijeune and Councilor Julia Mejia presented the resolution. They acknowledged the work of Shaquera Robinson, CEO and founder of Shaquera’s Story Domestic Violence Consulting and Coaching, and her colleagues.

“Activism and advocacy runs in her blood,” Louijeune said, referring to Robinson. “She is known for her optimism and charisma.”

Louijeune also recognized Robinson for her “tireless activism and advocacy for victims and survivors of domestic violence.”

Robinson said she wants to “make room for the survivors and victims who either feel silenced, unseen, unheard [or] unsupported.”

Additionally, the council discussed an order for a hearing regarding the City’s response to sexual assault, domestic violence and related resources for survivors.

“It’s crucial that we, the City, develop and support policies that provide support and resources to the victims,” Louijeune said.

Louijeune specifically mentioned the Boston Health Commission, as they are “ramping up their work on this issue.”

Councilor Sharon Durkan added that the order is “particularly important” to her.

“As someone who has experienced sexual violence and as someone who has experienced drugging … I really appreciate that we are centering survivors here,” Durkan said.

Durkan shared her personal experience as a survivor of sexual assault. Even though Boston “prides itself as being a progressive, compassionate city,” she said she “did not feel comfortable” filing a report or calling the police.

Durkan then discussed the importance of ensuring sexual assault victims feel comfortable speaking up and are aware of the current resources in Boston.

“Today, we have the opportunity to center survivors,” Durkan said. “We have the opportunity to center the resources that they need, and I’m absolutely dedicated to that as someone who’s experienced it, as someone who’s lived it.”

Current resources in Boston for sexual assault and domestic violence victims include Casa Myrna, Elizabeth Stone House and the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center.

Councilor Gabriela Coletta Zapata expressed the importance of combining information from law enforcement and advocacy groups to provide survivors the help they need.

“Sexual violence and domestic violence know no bounds. It doesn’t discriminate on gender, race or socioeconomic status,” Coletta Zapata said. “I am grateful for the incredible work of organizations like the one we honored here today.”