Field Hockey, Sports

Field hockey defeats Colgate 3-1, clinches spot in Patriot League Tournament

The Boston University field hockey team claimed a slot in the Patriot League Tournament with a 3-1 victory over Colgate University Friday night at New Balance Field. 

Junior midfielder Maddie Hudson (1) carries the ball down the field during the field hockey game on Saturday. The Boston University field hockey team beat Colgate University at home on Friday. HOLLY GUSTAVSEN/DFP PHOTOGRAPHER

“I was just happy the way we competed. I think we really wanted to come out from the beginning of the game with a very front foot approach and really play very aggressive hockey.” head coach Sally Starr said. “I think possession-wise, we got better as the game went on.”

In the opening minutes of the game, the Terriers (6-8, 3-2 Patriot League) were eager to take an early lead and applied intense pressure in the Raiders’ (3-11, 0-4 PL) zone. Their efforts paid off when senior forward Tess Csejka scored her third goal of the season, propelling the Terriers to a 1-0 lead over Colgate less than three minutes in.

The Raiders managed to equalize the score shortly after as junior forward Katie Convey netted her second goal of the season. As the period progressed, both teams vied for the lead. 

Toward the end of the first period, Terriers captain and senior midfielder Payton Anderson secured a goal by slamming the puck home from 12 feet out. This goal came with assistance from junior fullback Megan Wetzel and freshman midfielder Addison Jay.

BU held a 2-1 lead going into the second period. Despite BU’s offensive efforts, the Raiders’ defense held up and prevented the Terriers from scoring.

Toward the end of the period, Colgate sought to tie the game, but Terrier graduate goalie Kate Thomason made a crucial save by sliding to the left side of the net. At halftime, BU maintained their 2-1 lead.

“[The] message at the half was we needed to tighten up on our pressing,” Starr said. “We had to really make sure that we got their eyes down and put pressure on them so they couldn’t just sit there, almost like a quarterback, in the pocket being able to hit those long passes.”

In the third period, junior midfielder Amalia Preece came close to extending BU’s lead, but the ball ended up in the crease. Despite having a player advantage after Colgate junior forward Dani Palmer received a green card 32 minutes in, BU could not capitalize on the situation.

Senior fullback Katie Devine took a penalty corner and passed it to Anderson, who scored her second goal of the night and her tenth of the season.

“We’re second in the country right now. Maybe tonight will move us to first,” Starr said. “We have a lot of confidence when we get corners that we’re going to score goals. I’d like to see us score more field goals.”

The Terriers led by two goals as they entered the final period of the game.

The Raiders were determined to narrow the gap in the fourth period, but Thomason made an outstanding save that thwarted Colgate’s final attempt to score. In the end, BU managed to hold on for a 3-1 victory.

The Terriers will be heading to Durham, New Hampshire, to take on the University of New Hampshire on Sunday, Oct. 20 at 2 p.m.