Lifestyle

Walk, Don’t Run

You will not catch me running down Commonwealth Avenue — not for a bus, not for a train, not even for class. I’d much rather stroll in late than be caught dashing around campus. Running and scooters are the two things I vow to never use to get to class. 

Emma Clement | Senior Graphic Artist

It’s A) too embarrassing and B) not as fun as a walk. This doesn’t apply to scooters — those seem really fun. However, I do have to acknowledge the twinge of jealousy that I feel when a student athlete zooms past with the wind in their hair and a smile on their face. 

I do have to confess that, the other night, I broke the promise that I made to myself of never running on Commonwealth Avenue. I broke this vow at the insistence of my friends. They wanted to catch a bus and I couldn’t wait for the next one without them. After running as fast as I could to the bus stop, we ended up waiting another two minutes for this bus — a bus we could have strolled to. 

It was a humiliating defeat. Let’s just say I learned my lesson. 

There seems to be an unofficial run club here at Boston University: a rag-tag group of regularly late students who run for everything. It’s a lot of pressure for those of us who are just trying to enjoy a Warren Towers banana and a casual walk down the stairs. Behind us is a student pushing their way through, tearing up the streets, all because they need to make it to class. I understand that we can sleep through alarms, but there are too many perpetrators for me to not intervene. 

I am firmly against the running-for-things lifestyle. In protest, I try to allot myself sufficient time throughout my day to breathe the air around me. I like to take a moment to cut through BU Beach and admire the foliage while I have my morning coffee — and honestly, everyone should aim to do the same. 

Walk, don’t run. 

Walks, for me, are part of the BU experience. The periods of thought between my classes allow me to ground myself on that specific day with how I’m feeling, what tasks I find pressing, what type of bagel I want to get — you get the deal. 

None of that magic could happen on a run to class. If I was running, I wouldn’t really have a chance to notice the trees. Then, I wouldn’t remember how much my mom loves foliage, I wouldn’t get to call her and I wouldn’t get to show her how beautiful it is outside. 

Wow! A bird sings! A boy skateboards! Even on the crappy rainy days in Boston, each soft step in a puddle is a reminder of the fact that I am presently Sophia Keohane, and I don’t like feeling rushed in that acknowledgement. No one should feel rushed in that acknowledgement. 

Honestly, part of my qualm with racing down Comm. Ave is because of the beauty of the present, and how it truly is the only thing we have. If you’re too caught up in what you might be missing in the future, you will actually miss what’s happening right before your eyes. 

Many adults who have been to college will tell you to savor every second of it. I agree with them entirely. I also think it’s an important idea to keep throughout your entire life — not just in college. 

No one should have to run for anything. It’s hard in college to find a second to breathe. People are caught up in class, social stuff, their extracurriculars, internships, etc. Finding these pockets of time to pause and appreciate the present can seem hard and overwhelming. But, I truly believe that we need these moments of pause to remind ourselves that we are here — and that it is such a gift. 

My suggestion is to find a regular pit stop before, between or after class. One that takes you about 10-15 minutes to get to. My personal favorites are Warren for a banana, Pavement for coffee and a bagel and BU beach for a glimpse of nature. Listen to music and take this path at your own pace, touch base with yourself and laugh at something stupid. 

Let yourself walk. 

Sophia Keohane