Spectrum examines possible next step

Spectrum may attempt to persuade Boston University alumni to cease donations to the school, inform prospective students of the “unequal” nondiscrimination policy and organize walks and rallies if its latest attempt to amend the policy is denied, according to members at a Spectrum-sponsored teach-in last night.

More than 30 BU undergraduates and graduates gathered at the College of Communication to discuss alternative tactics to employ if BU administrators refuse to add sexual orientation to the nondiscrimination policy.

“If this keeps going and going and nothing is happening, or if we keep getting denied, then a lot of things like demonstrations out in front of Marsh Plaza will happen,” said Patrick Donovan, Student Union Vice President of Safety Services.

On Tuesday, Donovan, along with Spectrum President and College of Arts and Sciences Junior Emily Lyman and Union Vice President for Public Relations Dan Feder, delivered a proposal to top University administrators, including President Jon Westling.

If Spectrum can inform the alumni of the battle, Spectrum Secretary Jasmine Smith-Gillen said alumni could refuse to donate money until sexual orientation is added to the clause. She said contacting “major” contributors would be more effective.

“We need to figure out how to contact individual alumni,” Smith-Gillen said. “I think it is a resource we need to tap into because I think the BU administration will react to some kind of economic pressure to change the clause.”

However, difficulties finding alumni phone numbers is currently preventing Spectrum from following through, Smith-Gillen said.

Another potential plan involved informing prospective freshmen through advertisements in newspapers from areas where many BU students come from.

“Think about your average freshman,” Lyman said. “They are nervous in a new city with new people. They shouldn’t have to worry about not being protected.”

Lyman said because she expects an answer by next week, alternate plans will commence then if the proposal is refused.

The first event is a walk to be held possibly the middle of the week, Lyman said. The walk is sponsored by one of the Union Executive Board slates and is for various “students’ rights.”

“It’s not really risky. It’s just a bunch of people coming together and being a visual support of the cause,” Smith-Gillen said.

Although the idea of protests was discussed, Lyman said she was weary of enacting such plans.

“BU has no qualms of arresting its students,” Lyman said. “It’s something we really need to think about before doing it.”

However, Lyman said the group does not want a battle.

“We’re hoping the administration will respond in kind to our proposal because as of now, we have been nothing than polite and logical and mature,” Lyman said. “We’re hoping the administration will look at this and say, ‘These are a bunch of students who have really thought this through.’ If this doesn’t happen, then other tactics will be taken.”

Lyman said a BU administrator, who requested to remain anonymous, advised Lyman and Donovan on their proposal as well as future tactics.

“He told us there are about 10 schools where people who apply to BU apply as well,” Donovan said. “That’s where it comes down to — what do they have that BU doesn’t. If a gay student is looking at these schools, having this clause could mean another student and another $25,000.”

Lyman said the alliance began when she sent an invitational letter for November’s teach-in. The administrator replied to Lyman, and they have been in contact ever since.

This week, Spectrum began its letter-writing campaign and received over 200 signatures. Lyman said they would continue it next week.

“We can write a proposal and say the E-board and the Spectrum members and the Student Union support this,” Smith-Gillen said. “But, without the student body’s support, the BU administration is not going to budge. We need to show that there are numbers behind us.”