Perpetual Motion vows to change guest policy, link BU to Boston rape hotline

Amending the guest policy to allow sign-ins after midnight, increasing the money allocated to student governments and furthering rape prevention and assistance are among the campaign platforms of Perpetual Motion, one of three slates vying to become the next Student Union Executive Board.

Vice President of Residence Life candidate Lisa Kurdziel said the slate wants to allow students to sign in one non-Boston University student until 2 a.m. on Friday and Saturday nights. The slate also wants to allow BU students to sign in one BU student until 2 a.m. on weekdays. The guests would still need to leave at 8 a.m.

Under the revised policy, Kurdziel said dormitories would not experience a “rush” of club-goers between midnight and 2 a.m. because clubs do not close until 2:30 a.m.

Increasing the number of overnight guest passes from three to five is another policy amendment the slate plans to recommend, its members said. This change, however, will affect only those students living in apartment-style housing, such as the Student Village.

“When students live in apartment-style residence, you’ve brought the communal facility of a dining hall into their room,” Kurdziel said. “So you cant make the argument that their room is just for sleeping and studying, like you can in a regular dorm room such as Warren Towers.”

Housing will continue to be a focus for Perpetual Motion as the Residence Life committee plans to investigate the price differences between on- and off-campus housing. The group said they will assess the benefits and drawbacks of each scenario, and then use those results to determine what actions the slate will take.

“I think if people are able to understand — well, this much goes for this, and this is what you’re getting for it — people will be a lot happier and there will be a lot less general gripe about the cost,” Kurdziel said.

Michael Cyprys, currently a Union Senator and candidate for vice president of financial affairs, said he will investigate increasing the amount of the Undergraduate Student Fee given to student groups. He said there was a 4 percent increase in the fee this year, but the Union and other college governments only received a .18 percent increase.

Currently, any money leftover in the governments’ accounts are returned to the University. However, Cyprys said, allowing the governments to keep unspent money for the following year will enable them to fund more groups and events.

Presidential candidate Matthew D’Olimpio spoke of a need to expand the rape crisis programs at BU. He said the slate wants to add a rape center button on the emergency blue phones on campus, as well as a direct BU phone number students can call to a rape crisis center.

D’Olimpio said expanding rape training to all Resident Assistants is another of the slate’s goals to insure student safety.

Safety Services candidate Korina Ramsland was not present for last night’s interview, and there are two vacancies on the slate: vice president of student affairs and vice president of public relations.

Jason Pallante and Davina Wisin were deemed “ineligible” to run by the Student Union Elections Commission, but according to D’Olimpio, they will be appointed to the respective positions if the slate is elected.