Stage Troupe ready to modernize Macbeth

“It’s about sex, cigarettes and really big guns,” according to College of Communication sophomore Bobh McNamara.

Once a scene for 15th century Scotland, William Shakespeare’s tale “Macbeth” has been translated to fit the new millennium, and at the Armory Underground Theater this weekend, Boston University Stage Troupe will debut the modernized version of the classic prose.

“Students should attend even if they have never been exposed to Shakespeare,” said the show’s producer, College of Arts and Sciences sophomore Kiersten Rega. “The play still has Shakespearean language, but at the same time the modern aura will keep them interested while they’re experiencing the Shakespearan writing style.”

Each year, Stage Troupe votes on which plays they will perform. “Macbeth” was chosen this year among six nominees.

“The play is attractive because we put in unique and contemporary settings: swing music and people in trench coats and fedoras,” said CAS junior George Perry, the play’s assistant producer.

The producers said the plot remains true to Shakespeare: Macbeth decides to kill the king of Scotland to seize the throne for himself. However, three weird sisters foresee Macbeth’s future, and thus he attempts to make sure that his destiny comes true. The original work is considered Shakespeare’s darkest play.

Director Ben Riggs’ cast consists of 15 actors, each of which he said are an essential element in the play. The title character, played by College of Communication sophomore Andy Christman, is a complicated figure. “Even though Macbeth is a villain, he’s still a hero, and he’s interesting because he could be both at the same time,” Christman said.

CAS junior Justin Aclin plays four characters in the play, each of which is an example of the play’s modernization of Shakespeare’s work.

“I find my character, Fleance, interesting because he’s a rebellious teenager with more facial hair than his father,” Aclin said. “My character, the Porter, is interesting because he’s drunk and vulgar, and he thinks he’s the devil.”

“Macbeth is about the human experience and the human conflict between what one should do and what one really wants to do,” McNamara said.

Performances of “Macbeth” will take place in the Underground Theater at the Armory Friday and Saturday nights both this and next weekend at 8 p.m. Tickets are $5 for Stage Troupe members and $6 for non-Stage Troupe members.