Black Hawk Down Portrays Reality

I am writing in response to the “Black Hawk Down” review by Nolan Reese. I have to say, straight up, that you are wrong. “Black Hawk Down” was a great movie and it portrayed the unfortunate event very well. You said that the film was just “violent shoot-outs with minimal interruptions.” You are right, the film was filled with violent shoot-outs, but that’s what actually happened in the battle in 1993. The whole battle was a violent shoot-out and filled with confusion. Everybody was all over the place and completely unorganized because they never suspected two Black Hawk helicopters to be shot down. So, I think the film was great because it portrayed the event as today’s war really is. Ladies and Gentlemen, that is war.

You also said that the scene with the bullet removal happened off the field. If you read the book, you would know that didn’t happen off the field. The Army Rangers and Delta Force were trying to fix the soldier up in the heat of battle while being pinned down in an abandoned building. This scene was extremely important because it showed the intensity, bravery and overall intelligence of these men in the face of battle.

You went on to comment on the acting. You are right: The film didn’t do these actors justice. However, there is no room for drawn out, dramatic scenes in a movie like this. There is no time in the heat of battle to have a long conversation and let Tom Sizemore strut his acting ability.

Another thing: This event wasn’t a “botched military engagement.” They completed their mission and brought every one of their men out. Just because soldiers died doesn’t make it botched at all. THIS IS WAR. People die in war. Also, the Army Rangers and Delta Force were successful. Only eighteen men died while hundreds of Somalis died.

However, I will agree with you on one thing: The book was better. The book is more emotional, and when somebody is killed, it’s like a stake through your heart. It’s like one of your best friends died. In conclusion, see the movie for yourself. It is a great flick because it closely reflects how the event truly happened.