BUPD LOG: Scissors Swiped In Barbershop Robbery

The following were taken from last week’s Boston University Police Department logs.

The University Barber Shop was broken into during the night of Jan. 21, according to police.

Officers responded to a call from the shop, located at 712 Commonwealth Ave., at 7:45 a.m. They found pry marks on the door and deadbolt, according to police. The shop’s alarm was not activated that night.

Police said they suspected the intruders were searching for a safe, though the barber shop’s manager told officers he never leaves money in the store at night.

The intruders stole four pairs of scissors, according to police. There are no suspects or witnesses in this case.

OBSCENE PHONE CALLS

Four female BU students received obscene phone calls within two days of each other, the BUPD said.

The first two alleged victims were 18-year-old female residents of 140 Bay State Rd. who reported a number of annoying phone calls at 12:45 p.m. on Jan. 22.

The third victim was a 20-year-old resident of Myles Standish Hall, who told BUPD she received five hang-ups within 15 minutes.

A 19-year-old resident of 200 Bay State Rd. also claimed he received calls on Jan. 23. Police said the victim reported a series of sexual calls from an unknown male at 2:15 a.m. There are no suspects in any of the three cases, BUPD said.

INJURY

A 20-year-old BU student was found unconscious with cuts on his face at 34 Buswell St. on Jan. 25 around 2 a.m., police said.

Police responded to a call stating four unknown males were seen carrying the student, whose head was bleeding, into the building. Police said they found the student with abrasions above his right eye and lower lip.

The victim eventually regained consciousness and seemed intoxicated. He told police he had been drinking at a local club. The student was transported to Brigham and Women’s Hospital.

THEFT

A laptop valued at approximately $2,500 was allegedly stolen from the third floor of the School of Law, a BU student reported Jan. 25 at 8 a.m.

The victim told officers he left his laptop in the study room, but when he returned it was missing. BUPD has no suspects or witnesses in this case.

*A 19-year-old male BU student reported his cell phone stolen after leaving his backpack on a table in the George Sherman Union while he went to get a drink.

The phone was allegedly missing when the man returned to the table. He reported the incident Jan. 25 at 9:15 a.m., and estimated the value of the cell phone to be $300. Police have no suspects.

*An unattended wallet was reported stolen Jan. 25 at 10:45 a.m. from the fifth floor of the College of Fine Arts building, police said.

The victim, a 29-year-old BU student, valued her wallet at about $100, and said it contained $13 cash and two credit cards, according to police reports.

When the victim canceled her credit cards, she discovered charges had been made at three establishments in the Boston area, according to police.

*After leaving the door to her room closed but not locked, a 21-year-old Myles Standish Hall resident reportedly returned to find the door ajar and his laptop missing on Jan. 26 at noon.

She estimated the value of the laptop at $2,000, and also reported missing $140 cash. Police said there are no suspects or witnesses in this case.

RESTRAINING ORDER

A Bay State Road resident called police Jan. 25 at 10:30 a.m. to report that a 19-year-old BU student violated a restraining order, according to police reports.

The victim told police the suspect sent her instant messages through America Online, reportedly through a friend’s computer and screen name, BUPD said.

As the restraining order allowed for no contact in any form, the victim is seeking criminal charges against the suspect.

VANDALISM

A car was vandalized Jan. 25 at 1:15 p.m. in the rear parking lot of 575 Commonwealth Ave., police said.

The victim, a 28 year-old BU student, told police he returned to the second level of the parking lot and found the driver’s rear window shattered.

According to police, nothing was stolen from the car. There are no suspects or witnesses in this case.

*Unknown persons in Sleeper Hall shattered the mirror on the 10th floor, broke a chair and kicked in a vent on the bathroom door, police said.

The incident reportedly occurred Jan. 27 at 4:15 p.m., just before the end of the AFC Championship game. It was reportedly videotaped by occupants of a nearby room, according to BUPD. The case is still under investigation.

SUSPICIOUS MALES

Within one week, two suspicious males were reported for entering the women’s bathroom at Myles Standish Hall, according to police.

A 20-year-old female BU student reported on Jan. 22 at 2:30 p.m. she was taking a shower in the first floor bathroom when she thought she noticed somebody walking around, police said.

The victim then allegedly saw a man’s head looking up at her from under the shower next to her. According to police, she screamed and waited until she thought the man was gone. The victim then told her resident assistant, who called BUPD.

The man is described as having blond, spiky hair.

The second case occurred on Jan. 26 at 12 p.m. while a different 20-year-old BU student was reportedly using the restroom and saw a man walk by. The man then walked back and peered at the girl through the cracks in the stall, according to police reports.

The victim yelled, “Who is that?” and ran to tell her resident assistant. According to police, the man is described as a white male, with black hair and brown eyes, and was wearing a black coat.

EXPOSURE

A 36-year-old white male was taken into custody by the Massachusetts State Parole Board after exposing himself while in a car on Jan. 22 at 4:45 p.m. at the intersection of Mountfort and Beacon Streets, police said.

After a 21-year-old female reported the male, BUPD arrived and saw the man making movements in his waist area and talking on the phone. According to police, they stopped him and alerted the Parole Board.

The Parole Board issued a temporary warrant and took the man into custody upon arriving at the scene, BUPD said.

FAKE ID

Marty’s Liquor reported the use of a false identification by a 19-year-old female BU student on Jan. 24 at 10:30 p.m., police said.

The student attempted to use a fake California driver’s license to purchase alcohol at the store, located at the intersection of Brighton and Harvard Avenues. According to police, when the student was questioned, she produced her BU ID as a second form of identification.

The store employee told her he would have to verify the ID card, and she exited the store without making a purchase. Police said she left the fake driver’s license in the store. The license has been entered into evidence and this case is still under investigation, according to police.

ROBBERY

An unarmed robbery occurred on Jan. 23 at 7:45 a.m. at 712 Beacon St., according to police.

The victim, a 20-year-old BU student, told police two men pushed him down the stairs and held him down as they searched his pockets. According to police, they stole an ATM card, a driver’s license, a $150 CD player and $26 in cash.

The men fled the scene, police said. The first is described as a black male, 6-foot, 200 lbs., wearing blue pants and a blue flannel shirt. The second is described as a white male, 5-foot 6-inches, wearing light blue jeans and a dark sweatshirt, said police.