Mideast Peace Unlikely

Peace between Israelis and Palestinians will occur only when the region’s leaders and third parties bring religion to the forefront of the peacekeeping process, Tufts University professor Mark Gopin said last night at the George Sherman Union.

“It’s symbols, and myths, and metaphors and rituals that got these people into hell — a hell of their own making,” Gopin said.

However, he said, “There is a way that people can get out of that.”

That way out, Gopin said, is religion, which he broadly defined to 80 students and faculty members as spiritual understanding, as well as democracy, tolerance and universal human rights.

As a visiting professor at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University, Gopin specializes in conflict analysis and resolution and has worked personally with Yassir Arafat, the leader of the Palestinian Liberation Organization. He also works with the Center for Strategic and International Studies.

Gopin spent much time outlining the paradox of conflict between Jews and Muslims. He said although religion plays a major part in the suicide bombings in Israel, religion could also be a solution to the conflict.

Gopin called attention to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., Mohandas Gandhi and the Dalai Lama, three men who relied heavily on religion and spirituality in their struggle for the freedom of their people.

Gopin also said a third party empathetic to both sides and uninvolved in the conflict would have to step in to mediate between the two factions. However, Gopin said, no party exists.

“There are third parties who think they are not part of the conflict … but they all come from monotheistic cultures who are deeply related to that ancient spot,” Gopin said, referring to the holy city of Jerusalem.

“I believe that we have the answer,” Gopin said. “It’s going to take a bit of a cultural revolution in those people who see themselves outside of the conflict, and how they intervene, and what attitudes they now have about the conflict.”

Sarah Figge, who works for a non-profit environmental agency, had an opportunity to spend time in Israel, and said it was refreshing to hear Gopin concentrate so intensely on the importance of religion.

“You need a dialogue with religious leaders,” Figge said. “They’re the ones who are going to influence the people.”

Darius Barron, a University Professors program freshman, disagreed, saying even if Arafat and Prime Minister Ariel Sharon used religion to come to any kind of agreement, it would be difficult convince the Israeli and Palestinian communities to end the violence.

“They’re figureheads,” Barron said, referring to Sharon and Arafat. “The battle really is with the people.”