STAFF EDIT: No Pay Needed

The Student Union represents the Boston University student body by spending many long hours working for their causes to keep students content. The Union is dedicated to the work it does and the students it serves.

This has been reaffirmed recently in a study showing BU is one of few colleges refusing to compensate its student leaders. The University is correct in its stance on this matter. Impressively, BU Student Union members could not agree more.

If members of the Student Union were compensated for their work, the organization would only attract students looking for some extra cash. While they may have an interest in school politics, their hearts would not be in the right place.

Furthermore, it is unfair to chose one of nearly 400 organizations funded by the Student Activities Office for compensation. There are other student groups that do just as much work for the student body as the Union. If the BU administration ever decides to compensate the Student Union for its work, it should spread the wealth to other organizations, as well.

Jobs held by Student Union members are not to be taken lightly. Their work is important to the students they represent and the administration with whom they deal. Student leaders should not take on a job of this size if making money is their primary goal. Kudos to the BU Student Union for knowing that their work pays off in ways other than a check.