France rep. calls for Iraq withdrawal

Though France and the United States see eye to eye on some global issues, the French government is insisting a timetable be set for troop withdrawal from Iraq, and the United States must lead that effort, said a high-ranking French official Friday night at Metcalf Hall in the George Sherman Union.

When the United States invaded Iraq in 2003, France drifted diplomatically toward opposing the invasion, but the countries’ relationship has since improved, said Jean-Baptiste Mattei, the French Foreign Ministry Undersecretary of Foreign Affairs.

“We have come back to a normal relationship between governments,” Mattei told about 70 Boston University students during his opening remarks. “We do not share the same view as what to do in the Middle East.”

Mattei said while Iran has the right to develop nuclear energy, he acknowledged suspicions that arise with nuclear weapons developed in any country, citing Iraq as an example.

“We do not want Iran to be the new Iraq,” he said.

Although he did not provide a specific timeline, Mattei said there must be a withdrawal of troops from Iraq and the Iraqis must reform their domestic politics.

“It is not up to [France] to set a timetable, but it would be useful to give a timetable to the Iraqis,” Mattei said. “No country is willing to stay there forever. Not even Mr. Bush said that.”

The undersecretary also gave a brief overview of France’s internal situation, including rising immigration rates and the politics surrounding the country’s upcoming presidential campaign in April, which will bring “a new generation of new people in power,” Mattei said.

France wants the European Union to continue becoming more of a global power, Mattei said. An audience member asked if the EU would consider becoming involved in a war if it becomes a prominent power, but Mattei stressed the importance of diplomacy before war.

“It’s interesting because we hear different things in the American media everyday,” said International Students Consortium Vice President Jessica Sklodowski, a College of Arts and Sciences junior. “It’s interesting to get a different perspective, and I really appreciate that.”

CAS sophomore Nazita Lajevardi, who is on a leave of absence, said the discussion was relevant for her because she plans to move to France.

“I am very interested in seeing the differences and the shortcomings that France finds with the problems [the international community has] in the Middle East,” she said.

The ISC, which invited Javad Zarif, the Iranian ambassador to the United Nations, to speak to BU students in February, asks international leaders to promote international conversation at the university, said ISC President Bilal Bilici.

The group plans to host political representatives from Ghana, Israel and Palestine at BU to have similar discussions, Bilici said.

“We believe in dialogue,” the CAS senior said. “Our organization has become a window and gateway for these types of diplomats. It represents all nations.”