MOOK: The trouble with Goni

Dear reader, usually I devote my column to all things bikes, but today I am compelled to use this space to discuss an issue that hits harder than a car door. Last Friday before break, under everyone’s nose, the Boston University Economics Department hosted former President Gonzalo Sanchez de Lozada of Bolivia, who’s wanted for extradition since he fled his country in 2003 after ordering his military to openly fire on civilians. Official accounts claim 67 people died, with well over 400 wounded.

Sanchez de Lozada, known as ‘Goni’ to his friends, lives/hides in the suburbs of Washington, D.C. – a contentious point for most Bolivians since he has treaty-bound charges against him to face trial in Bolivia. Yet he was here, at BU, speaking to wide-eyed economics majors about the need for referees in the economic ‘game’ and how coca should be legalized. How much did we pay to have a criminal come and address our students?

Let me provide some background: Bolivia, though plentiful in silver, tin, rubber, lithium and natural gas, is the poorest country in South America, with income distribution worsening throughout the past two decades. From 1993 to 1997 and from 2002 to 2003, Goni, owner of Bolivia’s second-largest mine, was president. In 1985, to solve hyperinflation, he ushered in Bolivia’s ‘neoliberal’ era touted by former Harvard University professor Jeffery Sachs. Implementing the free market meant breaking up national mines, jailing union leaders, cutting tens of thousands of jobs and erasing any semblance of workers’ rights or public subsidies. Goni is that fascist boss Woody Guthrie’s always singing about.

Now, Bolivia is the star of globalization’s resistance movements. It’s a place where McDonald’s failed and the Bechtel Corporation – of Big Dig and Iraq ‘reconstruction’ fame – was forced out after buying a town’s water rights. Goni, who was raised and educated in the United States, seemed to miss this.

In February 2003, Goni’s tax increases, pressured by the International Monetary Fund, sparked protests and a fatal shootout between local police and the national army on the steps of the presidential palace. Eight months later, in October, Goni’s deal to sell cheap gas to the United States led to a massive social revolt, which shut down the capital, La Paz. But instead of listening to his people, he chose to fire upon them.

He did listen to former BU President John Silber, however, who was instrumental in Goni’s first presidency and granted an honorary degree to Goni in the mid-90s. Silber, who greeted Goni on Friday, comes across as the puppet master controlling his marionette with one iron fist. What other global crimes are being partially funded by our undergraduate student fee?

Goni calls his ousting a ‘coup,’ but in my opinion, when the president orders the military to fire indiscriminately on his own people, he loses all legitimacy to rule. Thus, I call on BU to rescind its degree from Goni and request he face the charges against him for the sake of justice and for the families still suffering.

1. It’s important to know that Mauricio Balcazar is the son-in-law of former president Sanchez de Lozada (Goni) and is writing on any and all blogs that mention his father-in-law’s case. <p/>The fact is that in October 2003, after ordering the military to put down protests resulting in 67 dead and over 400 injured, Goni fled to the U.S. in order to avoid the Bolivian justice system. The case against Goni was initiated by his own Vice President, Carlos Mesa, and approved of by over 2/3rds of the Congress, that was dominated by Goni’s party and allies. All of this happened before Evo was even in office. Goni and all of his Cabinet also signed a Supreme Decree saying that the government would compensate for any and all damages brought by the military actions.<br/>The U.S. should extradite Goni and his two former ministers who have fled here illegally. We should not interfere with the Bolivian justice system. This is not a case of political persecution.

2. Evo Morales, who led the civil commotion, repeatedly and publicly vowed to topple the democratically-elected government of President Gonzalo Sánchez de Lozada. A Government’s that tried to so resolve the national crisis peacefully through dialogue and with the help of the Catholic Churh, Evo Morales broke negociations. The violence began when armed demonstrators resorted to violence, held more than 800 people hostage (including foreign tourists) in Sorata, and endangered the lives of innocent people in La Paz by preventing the safe passage of food, fuel and other needed supplies. Media reported the deaths of at three newborn babies when their hospital in the Bolivian capital ran out of oxygen due to blockades led by Evo Morales.<p/>The extradition request against President Sánchez de Lozada is another effort by Evo Morales to persecute political opponents withe the help of Hugo Chavez from venezuela.

3. Goni is not to blame. Strongest leader that came through Bolivia!