Other, Sports

W. track takes first in four events

The Boston University women’s track team had a huge weekend at the Spec Towns Invitational in Athens, Ga. on Friday and Saturday, picking up a number of first-place finishes and qualifying marks for both the NCAA and the ECAC Championships.

‘It went extremely well,’ BU coach Robyne Johnson said. ‘We had some big marks.’

Senior Tahari James, named America East Female Field Performer of the Week last Tuesday after setting two school records at the Florida Relays, continued her winning streak in the jumps, posting 6.27 meters in the long jump and 13.15 meters in the triple. Senior Edwina Clarke was fifth, qualifying for the ECAC Championships with a jump of 5.81 meters.

‘I’ve been really happy with my jumps,’ James said. ‘You always want to shoot for that school record.” ‘

In addition to representing BU at the NCAA Championships, she hopes to don the USA jersey at the World Track and Field Championships this year.

James, junior Whitney Ford, sophomore Laura Martin and freshman Shelby Walton took first in the 4-by-100-meter relay, coming within .03 seconds of the school record with a time of 46.50 seconds. The Terriers’ ‘B’ team of freshman Jackie Dim, sophomore Amanda Howard, senior Alyssa Fanucci and sophomore Alex Jackson took third, also qualifying for the ECAC Championships in 48.23 seconds.

‘Our 4-by-100 is a new group of people working together,’ James said. ‘Once we get the hand-offs down, there should be no reason why we don’t get the record by the end of the season.’

Senior Rebecca Marshburn won the 400-meter hurdles, qualifying for the NCAA Championships with a personal record time of 1 minute, 0.38 seconds. She was the top collegiate finisher and second overall in the 100-meter hurdles in 14.45 seconds, also a personal best.’

Freshman Katie Matthews had a breakthrough, beating her personal in the 5,000-meter run by nine seconds in a 17:32.28 victory.

Walton ran the 100-meter dash in 11.94 seconds, threatening the school record, and Martin (12.13) and Ford (12.23) followed close behind.

James, Martin and Ford swept third to fifth place in the 200-meter dash. Both James (24.73) and Martin (24.88) posted ECAC Championship qualifying times.

Sophomore Jen Fleser threw the hammer 45.94 meters, good for fifth place.

There was no team score, but the Terriers held their own against the field, despite early travel times and unpredictable weather.

‘Every meet is important,’ Johnson said. ‘You’re always trying to push yourself to reach the qualifying standard.’

‘I’m just excited to see where we end up,’ James said. ‘We have a lot of talent on the team, and it’s really nice to be a part of it.’