Features

Fashionistas frequent Newbury

Whenever Mara Berg has a fashion emergency the first place she heads is Newbury Street. The College of Communication freshman said she could spend a whole day perusing the glitzy Boston street’s many different boutiques.

Berg is not alone. From the moment BU students return to campus in the fall, thousands of them flock to Newbury for all of their shopping needs.

From BU’s east campus, the walk to Newbury, just off of Massachusetts Avenue, is a mere 15 minutes – or a five-minute T ride to the Hynes Convention Center stop.

Thanks in part to the many fashionistas of Boston University who find themselves powerless against the lure of easily accessible, brand-name clothing, store owners on Newbury Street said they are surviving despite the recession, and that having BU nearby is a success ticket.

Employees from Zara, Urban Outfitters, American Apparel and American Eagle each said the impact of the student population on sales at their stores is tremendous. Many agreed that BU students drive up the number of sales during the academic year.

Kelechi Ekechi, a sales associated at the Hempest, said that BU students and students from other colleges come in all the time, and that even during the recession there has been steady foot traffic at the store. The Hempest sells hemp clothing and an assortment of multicolored pipes.

‘We get all sorts of students from every background,’ Ekechi said. ‘What we sell is product specific, so the students would not find these products anywhere else.’

INTERNATIONAL IMPACT

International students from BU are some of the most frequent visitors to Newbury Street and often return to Comm. Ave. with bags full of items, store owners said.

Whether it is the atmosphere, wide, walkable streets and outdoor shopping that mimics European shopping districts, or a variety of items not available overseas, both managers from Zara and American Eagle agreed that international students frequent their stores and Newbury in general.

In 2008, BU’s enrollment was made up of students from more than 130 countries. Having American stores nearby – which are often cheaper dollar-wise than similar stores in other countries – is a definite attraction for these students said Newbury Street store managers.

‘I’ve been to Newbury twice in the last two weeks,’ College of Arts and Sciences student Kabir Awatramani, a native of India, said. On a recent trip, Awatramani said he bought an iPod and about $50 of apparel merchandise.

Sabina Ambani, an international student in CAS from Sri Lanka, said she goes to Newbury every other week.

‘The first time I spent $20,’ she said. ‘The second time $200.’

KEEPING UP WITH THE JONESES

Boston University students often have a higher-standard of retail value than the average college student, students said. This emphasis on fashion creates pressure to always be well dressed, students said.

‘People here dress really well,’ CAS freshman Colleen Peters said. ‘You get here and feel like you need to catch up.’

At which point many BU students go to Newbury.

Shopping is encouraged by on-campus groups such as the Fashion and Retail Association of Boston University (FAB), which hosts exclusive shopping events and discussions with leaders in the fashion industry. For those linked into this club and the world of fashion, periodic visits to Newbury are a must.

College of Communication senior Vanessa Gattinella said Newbury is a good attraction during the weekends. Gattinella said she makes the short trip to Newbury two or three times a month.

High-end fashion store Pinkyotto is a very popular spot for BU students, sales associate Ashley Fenwick said.

‘We had a lot of BU girls come in here for graduation last year,’ Fenwick said.

But even for those less interested in keeping with the trends of the catwalk, Newbury Street is a popular attraction.

‘I go to Newbury all the time,’ CAS freshman Ross Chauvin, who frequents The Hempest and Johnny Cupcakes, a specialty T-shirt shop, said.

BREAKING THE BANK

The close proximity of popular stores such as Urban Outfitters, American Apparel, Zara and H&M is both a delight and a danger for BU shopaholics.

Students that frequent Newbury have to be careful to pinch pennies, often avoiding the more expensive stores.

At Luna Boston, which sells mainly handbags and shoes, most items start at $200. Unlike its more student-friendly priced neighbors, Luna does not rely on college students to make up a large amount of its revenue Operations Manager Amanda Lecroix said.

The expensive merchandise may draw students in to view high fashion, but the price tags often scare students from opening their wallets, Lecroix said.

‘ At Second Time Around, students are drawn to the clothing store’s second-hand clothing section, sales associate Jessica Defino said. The second-hand section includes shirts from Forever 21 and H&M for $6 and under, Defino said.

‘ Some students said they purposely avoid Newbury so that they do not accumulate debt.

‘ ‘I’m trying to limit myself to visiting Newbury just once a month, otherwise I’m going to get poor,’ CAS freshman Lauryn Gilroy said.

CAS freshman Jennifer Sorgman said she does not limit the number of times she goes to the shopping area, but said she does not spend much when she is there.

‘ ‘I go to Newbury about twice a month,’ Sorgman said. ‘I spend anywhere from $20 to $60. H&M is my favorite store.’

Berg said she tries to spend ‘as little as possible’ when she makes the trek to Newbury, even if it is a ‘fashion emergency.’

‘I am an expert bargain hunter and buy only things I really need,’ she said. ‘Considering that I am a broke college student, I love a good deal. I got the cutest boots on sale at 344 last week.’

Other students said they turn elsewhere for their shopping needs, because of the prices of Newbury establishments.

‘I love Newbury Street, but I do not go very often, ‘ CAS freshman Arielle Egan said. ‘I do like to go to Filene’s Basement. I recently got two pairs of jeans there. One was BCBG’ for $53.’

Awatramani, the CAS international student, enjoys the sales at the Cambridgeside Galleria, where he said he bought five shirts for $5 each because ‘everything is always on clearance at that H&M.’

He and other recessionistas are also a fan of The Garment District, where unique used clothing can be bought by the pound at the Cambridge store.

Despite the lofty prices at many Newbury stores and the other shopping options throughout Boston, Berg said if she has free time soon she will head straight for Newbury for some retail therapy.

‘ ‘I would love to spend an entire day just wandering around all of the boutiques,’ she said. ‘I want to check out Second Time Around. I hear they have great deals.’

Staff writer Lyle Moran contributed to the reporting of this article.