Arts & Entertainment, The Muse

All eyes on Pitchfork

As the fifth annual Pitchfork Music Festival in Chicago, scheduled for July 16th-18th, draws nearer, festival goers have even more to be excited about than in previous years, and even those who missed their chance to get the initial batch of tickets have another opportunity. While Saturday and Sunday sold out weeks ago, there will be an extra release of tickets for sale at the box office on Thursday, July 15th, starting at 11am. Friday tickets are still available but are going quickly, and with the addition of the comedy tent, featuring Eugene Mirman, Michael Showalter of “Stella” and “Michael and Michael Have Issues,” Wyatt Cenac of “The Daily Show,” and Hannibal Buress, Friday’s lineup is just as crucial as the other days. For those who can’t make it, Pitchfork will be broadcasting the event on http://www.pitchforkmusicfestival.com.
As always, the festival is bringing a mighty array of indie artists to Union Park this year. Headliners include Modest Mouse, Broken Social Scene, Robyn, LCD Soundsystem, Panda Bear, Bear in Heaven, Pavement, Big Boi, Sleigh Bells, Neon Indian, and many other artists, offering a range of styles from noise rock to hip-hop to dream pop. You can check out the full lineup at the website.
Pitchfork also offers a number of activities for fans to check out when not seeing music, such as the Chicago Independent Radio Project Record Fair, which will offer an impeccable selection of CDs and vinyl for sale, Coterie, a local artisan vendor, the FLATSTOCK poster show series, featuring many popular concert poster artists who will sell their art in person, and Rock for Kids, which aims to offer free music lessons to underprivileged children in the Chicago area. There will also be a variety of food from local vendors, this year including Robinson’s Ribs, Star of Siam, Bite Café, The Rice Table, Wishbone, Abbey Pub, and more.
While offering such a spectacular weekend to music fans, the environmentally friendly festival also provides incentive to recycle, as the Pitchfork Music Festival Recycling store offers attendees festival merch for plastic cups and bottles. The festival is also using hybrid vehicles and powering the festival with biodiesel fuel, making this one of the most cutting-edge and forward-thinking festivals around. Don’t miss your chance to get one of those last few tickets and experience what is sure to be a legendary weekend.