Arts & Entertainment, The Muse

Getting Stoopid in Massachoosetts

This past Thursday, July 22, Slightly Stoopid’s Legalize It Tour 2010 made its stop at Boston’s own Bank of America Pavilion. Opening act Collie Buddz put on a soulful reggae performance, making way for hip-hop legends Cypress Hill. Cypress Hill’s bass-heavy and energetic performance lasted over an hour, opening with the fitting “I Wanna Get High,” then moving through the rest of the CH classics such as “Insane in the Brain,” “Hits from the Bong,” “Dr. Greenthumb,” and “How Could I Just Kill A Man.” The B-Real and Sen Dog-anchored rap group closed their set with “(Rock) Superstar,” letting the audience know that it was time to get stoopid.

Miles Doughty and Kyle McDonald of Slightly Stoopid were discovered by the late Sublime frontman Bradley Nowell in 1995, making it all the more refreshing to see them keeping that punk-inflected reggae style of music alive in Slightly Stoopid. Over the course of the show, Miles and Kyle each displayed their talents with the bass, guitar, and their oddly Jamaican singing style that two kids from Long Beach, California ought to have a harder time mastering. They satisfied with “Sweet Honey,” an acoustic take on “Collie Man,” “Officer,” “Wiseman,” and a long list of other fan favorites. Accompanied by an eclectic mix of horns, percussion, and an awesome light show, Slightly Stoopid captured the audience with the reggae groove they built up for the ninety-plus minutes of playing.

The tour was meant to raise awareness for Prop 19 and cannabis taxation in California, so it only made sense to invite Cypress Hill, whose discography is nearly 100% reefer anthems, to support Slightly Stoopid on the tour. As a responsible journalist, I intended to keep a clean head throughout the show, but Slightly Stoopid chose the only outdoor venue in the city that could be clambaked (the BofA Pavilion), proving that Slightly Stoopid may actually be slightly smart.