Golf, Sports

Golf to tee off season at Dartmouth Invitational

Staying positive and staying patient will be the word for this year's Boston University women's golf team. Coming off a disappointing fifth place finish in last year's Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference tournament, the team looks forward to this year with new eyes as it gets its start in the Dartmouth Invitational this weekend.

The Terriers are looking to build off last year's performance at the Dartmouth tournament, where they finished 14th as a squad. Ana Johnson, who was named a senior captain heading into this season, posted a 159 last year, good enough for 17th.

Chalas is optimistic that the fully healthy team will find more strength than just Johnson this weekend if they are to improve on last season's performance and moving forward.

Entering their second year in the MAAC, coach Bruce Chalas hopes that the experience gained from last year "will give us confidence" and allow them to become truly competitive in their conference.

The Terriers' end goal is to play in the NCAA tournament, a contest they are assured a place in if they win the MAAC championship.

But such a win will not come without its difficulties. The team will play in two-day invitationals throughout the fall and spring season, starting with this weekend's tournament in Hanover, N.H., in preparation for the three-day MAAC championship.

Despite the more imminent competitions, this season will be about "look[ing] towards the conference championship" and becoming full members of the MAAC conference.

In Chalas's mind, the greatest challenge his team will face, both now and going forward, is "staying patient while we are competing and to maintain a positive attitude in the face of adversity." This year's team will face incredibly competitive and challenging conditions and Chalas believes the key to their success is continuing to maintain a strong spirit of competitiveness.

"We can beat anyone and everyone," Chalas said.