City, News, Politics

Chomsky encourages Occupy protesters to band together

Linguist, philosopher, cognitive scientist and activist Noam Chomsky speaks in support of the Occupy Boston movement in Dewey Square in downtown Boston Saturday. PHOTO COURTESY/FRANK DEVITA

Renowned linguist and social activist Noam Chomsky expressed support for the Occupy Boston movement while cautioning protesters that change would take months or years to occur in a speech at the movement’s headquarters in Dewey Square Saturday.

In the shadow of the towering buildings of the Financial District, hundreds of protesters gathered to watch Chomsky speak as part of the Howard Zinn Memorial Lecture Series.

“There has always been a gap between public policy and public will, but it has grown astronomically. You can see it right here,” Chomsky said.

Chomsky said the Occupy Boston movement could be important in reversing the fundamental changes in the economic structure that he said began in the 1970s.

“If things continue like this . . . this historic reversal that began in the 1970s could become irreversible,” he said. “And the Occupy Boston movements are the first real major public reaction that could avert us this. But it’s going to be necessary to face the fact that it’s a long hard struggle.”

Chomsky explained how the U.S. economy has developed since the 1930s, turning from a worker-based economy into one that is controlled by corporate interests.

He also said that the pessimism with which many people perceive the economy today is unique in American history.

“[During the Great Depression] there was the sense that we’re going to get out of it,” Chomsky said. “It’s quite different now. Now there’s a pervasive sense of hopelessness and despair. I think it’s quite new in American history.”

Chomsky also advised the Occupy Boston protesters to band together and to work on developing a list of goals, even if they didn’t necessarily agree on all of them.

“You can’t do this or anything else unless there’s a large active popular base,” he said.

Although he said he believed the movement had the potential to initiate changes in the country’s political and economic system, he warned protesters that these changes would not come easily.

“It’s not going to be easy to achieve. There are going to be barriers, difficulties, hardships,” he said. “But unless the process that’s taking place here and in the rest of the country and around the world, unless that continues to grow and becomes a major force in the social and political world, the chances for a decent future are not very high.”

Some attendees said that Chomsky’s appearance was a positive contribution to the movement.

“What we can get out of him is a lot of depth, and he’s one of the best minds around right now that’s been thinking about these issues and engaging in the better part of the half century,” said Daniel Hawkins, 26, who said he is “tangentially” involved in the Occupy Boston movement.

Occupy Boston protester Kevin Green, 27, said Chomsky is a hero to a lot of people.

“It was good for the movement because Noam Chomsky is one of the most important intellectuals alive, probably the most important intellectual alive,” Green said. “He’s fought for issues of social and economic justice his entire life and he not only writes books and gives talks but he comes down and is a part of the struggle.”

Green said Chomsky’s appearance drew a new audience to Dewey Square.

“It was great to have a lot of people who came here just because they wanted to see Noam Chomsky, but then had conversations with other people, made some connections, made some linkages, really got something else out of Occupy Boston,” he said. “He attracted a lot of people who might not have otherwise came up but might come down in the future.”

Staff writer Megan Riesz contributed reporting to this article.

1. Professor Chomsky always have a strong faith in the people. I admire him for this.

If the founding fathers of the US could figure out a way to come to an agreement of a basic Constitution over 200 years ago, I think the Occupy Wall Street movement can eventually hammer out something basic and important so that a better society can be created.

2. I attended Chomsky’s talk. His discussion about the history of the definition of “persons” in the US, with regard to corporations and immigrants, was truly inspiring and mind opening. I’ve never heard anyone speak so coherently about apathy, passivity, consumption, and the distractions engendered by the total noise of culture and media. He also spoke with such astonishing intelligence about the birth of public relations as an industry of class control. Great stuff.

What I walked away with was a clearer idea of what will be required for change. I don’t think it has to do with staying through the winter in Dewey Square. I think Chomsky was encouraging us to get involved at the local level, organize and participate in workers’ rights, environment, etc. And to really focus on getting involved in our political process. Electing candidates who really represent our interests.

http://www.elephantjournal.com/2011/10/noam-chomsky-and-the-ecstasy-of-the-occupy-movement/

3. Thank you for sharing these kind of wonderful posts. In addition, the optimal travel along with medical insurance plan can often eradicate those concerns that come with touring abroad. Any medical crisis can quickly become too expensive and that’s likely to quickly set a financial problem on the family finances. Setting up in place the great travel insurance bundle prior to setting off is well worth the time and effort. Thank you