Science, Weeklies

A Mental Workout

Research shows that exercise not only helps your body, but your mind as well.

Many students remain unaware of the multitude of effects exercise has on the brain in terms of improving memory and thinking, which scientists commonly refer to as cognitive function. The science behind exercise and the brain involves many biochemical changes that initiate neuroplasticity, which is the capacity of the nervous system to create connections between neurons.

Although exercise improves cognitive function, students should not fall under the impression that exercise alone will make them an improved human think tank. Just as peanut butter goes with jelly, a healthy nutritional component must complement a regimented exercise routine in order to receive the full benefits of that jog on the Esplanade.

Exercise can act as fuel for the body as well as the brain, and if done correctly, can hold great physical and cognitive benefits, according to two articles published by the National Institutes of Health. Students should consider throwing in a trip to the gym in their study plans when preparing for a test since it could help retain the information that they are cramming.

BEFORE EXERCISE

The brain relies on glucose, the most common carbohydrate, as its sole source of energy. In the past decade, scientists have been investigating the importance of specialized cells in the brain called astrocytes. These cells support neurons by carrying small deposits of glycogen, or stored carbohydrates, as a backup energy source according to Maria Burgess, a professor at Boston University’s Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences.

“Glycogen supplies less than 6 percent of all the fuel needs of brain cells with the rest coming from glucose delivered via the bloodstream,” she said

“The brain stores glycogen to have as a back-up source of energy, and because it can be used very quickly to meet the needs of highly active cells in localized regions of the brain,” Burgess said. “Because the brain doesn’t burn fat, glycogen is the only source of spare energy for neurons.”

When normal thinking and reacting occurs, these small glycogen stores are used up in certain regions, and over time go through a process called glycogen synthesis. This process gradually replenishes glycogen levels but is slowed down because of the brain’s continuous actions of thinking and reacting.

WHAT SHOULD YOU EAT?

These processes come into play when exercising occurs, so it is important to maintain natural levels of glycogen pre-workout. Certain foods can be eaten to avoid depleting energy levels quickly and to workout for a long period of time.

“A pre-workout meal should have carbohydrates, simple carbs is more a burst of energy, while complex carbs take longer to break down,” said Tamara Fattaleh, a sophomore in Sargent. “A mixture of those two will sustain you through the workout, but balance is key, a pre-workout meal should be geared towards carbs.”

DURING EXERCISE

Once the proper nutrition has been accounted for the pre-workout, the next focus turns to what happens during exercise. Once the glucose supply from the blood is depleted, the glycogen stores located in the astrocytes are broken down to a form that can be easily burned by neurons, according to Burgess. In other words, glycogen stores act as the “reserve tanks” of the brain once glucose is completely used up during exercise.

The exhaustion of glycogen results in what most marathon runners will experience after prolonged exercise, commonly known as “hitting the wall.” According to a recent study published in the Journal of Physiology, brain glycogen decreases with prolonged exhaustive exercise.

A study involving rats and a treadmill-training program was used to examine what happens to glycogen during exercise. After allowing the rats to rest following a single session, glycogen levels were examined. Although initial levels declined, surprisingly, glycogen levels were higher than initially measured resulting in an “overcompensation.”

According to the study, the researchers discovered that the food went straight to the brain and restored glycogen levels to the point where it surpassed original levels. This interesting process called “supercompensation” is the brain’s form of carbo-loading, hence the importance of eating a carb-oriented meal.

POST-EXERCISE: CHEMISTRY

The same study reported that after four weeks of consistent exercise, the rats’ “supercompensation” levels became the new natural levels. Even more intriguing, was the fact that “supercompensation” seemed to occur in the areas of the brain related to thinking and memory. This directly relates to the hypothesis made by the scientists regarding exercise-enhanced cognitive function.

In an interview with The New York Times, Dr. Hideaki Soya, the senior researcher on the study, said, “It is tempting to suggest that increased storage and utility of brain glycogen in the cortex and hippocampus might be involved in the development of a better, sharper brain.”

Although the study was only done in rats, the results are meaningful for humans too.

Current scientific techniques do not allow for testing of glycogen in humans, yet this animal model provides an intriguing possibility that humans can facilitate this “supercompensation” process.

AFTER EXERCISE: DIET

“In terms of post-workout, the best thing you can have is lean protein – chocolate milk or soy milk – [which]helps to replenish what you’ve lost,” said Nicole Falgoust, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences. “Protein should be lean so that you won’t gain fat. During a workout, you tear muscle fibers and when they repair, protein helps with regeneration.

“I’ve always considered proper nutrition to be an integral part of staying healthy. After going to the gym, I immediately eat a medium-sized banana to replenish my body’s glycogen stores, and a protein bar to boost muscle production and to help my system recover.”

Another consideration regarding nutrition after a workout is timing of nutrient consumption.

“There is a window where you should eat right after you workout because that’s when you are feeling your muscles recover,” said Edward Ho, a sophomore in College of Arts and Sciences. “That window lasts about 30 minutes to an hour after you workout.“

The window that Ho refers to is known as the “anabolic window,” a 30 minute to an hour period during which the body will soak up any nutrients. This is the ideal time to consume those post-workout nutrients in the form of chocolate milk or a well-balanced meal full of protein.

A ‘SUPER’ BRAIN

If physical activity can become a weekly routine, after a while the brain can generate new cells because of exercise. These new cells will propagate in areas where “supercompensation” occurs – the cortex and hippocampus – the exact areas of the brain that relate to thinking and memory, according to Burgess. With the correct nutritional guide to supplement a consistent workout, exercise can actually help develop a person’s memory and thinking skills by literally making the brain bigger over time.

The recommended amount of exercise by most researchers is 30 minutes to one hour per day, for a minimum of three days a week. It should be noted that the exercise does not necessarily have to be strenuous, as even a walk has been shown to have positive benefits on cognitive function.