MET Dean Jay Halfond stepping down Dec. 31

Boston University’s Metropolitan College Dean Jay Halfond will step down after 11 years of leadership, according to an open letter by University Provost Jean Morrison.

Morrison posted a letter on the Office of the Provost website Tuesday announcing Halfond will step down Dec. 31 and return to the faculty.

“Halfond will take a year-long sabbatical starting in the summer 2013 and will return in the following summer to serve on the faculty and continue his contributions to teaching and scholarship,” Morrison said in her letter.

MET Associate Dean for Academic Programs Tanya Zlateva will serve as interim dean beginning Jan. 1, 2013, Morrison said.

“Interim Dean Zlateva will play an essential role in leading and sustaining the momentum of MET as we consider the best way forward for Metropolitan College,” she said.

Zlateva is also a MET associate professor of computer science.

Halfond will teach a School of Education graduate seminar during the spring 2013 semester, Morrison said.

Halfond joined the BU community in 1997 as associate dean and associate professor of administrative sciences. He became dean of MET in 2001.

“Nine new degree programs, 29 new academic and professional certificates and 11 new concentrations were initiated during his deanship, as well as the transition of 12 masters degrees and one undergraduate program to a fully online format,” Morrison said.

Halfond is the third college dean at BU to announce stepping down in six weeks.

School of Hospitality Administration Dean Christopher Muller announced in September he will step down at the end of the fall 2012 semester and take a sabbatical before returning to teaching.

In October, College of General Studies Dean Linda Wells announced she will step down at the end of the spring 2013 semester, take a year-long sabbatical and return to BU in a reduced role.