Sports, Swimming & Diving

Men’s and women’s swimming and diving sweep ECAC Championship

The Boston University men’s and women’s swimming teams had an historic weekend. Sunday night, both teams won the swimming and diving championships at Harvard’s Blodgett Pool, the first time this feat has been accomplished in school history.

Throughout the entire weekend, BU held the lead, and never fell out of the first spot as a team. The first day of the competition saw the Terriers come out with a bang, as four of the school’s records were broken on the day.

Freshman Stephanie Nasson became the first woman in BU history to swim under the 4:50 mark in the 500m freestyle, with a time of 4:49.07. Another record on the women’s side was broken as senior Katie Radin swam an impressive 55.94 seconds in the 100m backstroke, which started off the 400m medley relay.

The men on the first day were successful as well with freshman Mun Hon Lee breaking the BU record in the 200m Individual Medley with his time of 1:49.70 and sophomore Connor Stuewe breaking his own record in the 100m backstroke swimming with a time of 48.68 seconds.

With the combined efforts of both teams, the women’s squad ended the first day with 240.5 points and the men’s team earning 191.

BU kept on rolling in the second day of the championships, with the men standing at a total of 1007.5 points and the women totaling 967.5 in their side of the completion.

Arguably the best race for both of BU’s squads was the 800m freestyle relay. On the strength of junior Kendra Cheng, sophomore Alexsa Savage and freshmen Mika Spencer and Nasson, the Terriers posted an impressive time of 7:27.08, allowing them to claim the victory. The men followed suit as the relay team consisting of Stuewe, sophomores Andy Vazquez and Cole Puchi and junior Jeff Thomas helped BU take the top spot in the men’s race, posting a time of 6:38.03.

Going into the final day with the lead, both the men’s and women’s teams excelled yet again. Nasson was impressive in her 1,650m freestyle swim, breaking the school record with her time of 16:27.57, which was also a good enough time to put her in first place.

On the men’s side Lee again broke another school record, this time in the 200m butterfly with his time of 1:47.87.

Not only did the BU swimmers have an incredible run during the championships, but head coach Bill Smyth was also named the Coach of the Meet.