Sports, Track and Field

Track and field sending competitors to various weekend meets

This weekend, members of the Boston University track and field team will participate in various meets across the nation.

Sprinters and hurdlers will travel to Austin, Texas, to compete at the 86th Clyde Littlefield Texas Relays, hosted by the University of Texas.

Senior Allison Barwise will be competing in the heptathlon in her first appearance since competing in the high jump at the NCAA Indoor Championships, where she earned Second Team All-America honors.

Barwise had a personal best of 5,276 points in the event, including a personal-record 1.87m in her top event, the high jump.

Graduate student Zachary Ray will participate in the 110m hurdles and 400m hurdles, hoping to duplicate his success from two weekends ago. At the Shamrock Invitational March 16, Ray placed seventh in the 110m hurdles, with a time of 14.38 seconds, while turning in a second-place performance in the 400m hurdles (51.16 seconds).

Junior Stephen Vitale will also take part in the 400m hurdles.

Senior R.J. Page is expected to compete in the 100m dash, an event in which he owns the America East record (10.52).

Page and Ray will combine with freshman David Lagerberg and senior Tewado Latty for the 4x100m and 4x200m relays. These four are very much accustomed to one another, as they combined during the indoor season for a school record in the 4×400, clocking 3:09.45.

Sophomore Gemma Acheampong and senior Shelby Walton will take part in the 100m dash. The two competed in the event at the Shamrock Invite, where they placed 15th (12.43 seconds) and 17th (12.48 seconds) respectively.

Senior Nikko Brady and freshman Sophie Jacsurak, a dynamic duo during indoor season, will compete in the 100m hurdles, while senior Julia Mirochnick will line up for the 400m hurdles.

Brady, Acheampong, Walton and junior Carolyn Maynard will combine their talents to compete in the 4x100m relay.

While the sprinters and hurdlers will be showcasing their talents down south, BU’s distance runners will take part in the Raleigh Relays, hosted by North Carolina State University.

Headlining the pack will be graduate student Katie Matthews, who, like Barwise, is making her outdoor season debut following a strong showing at the NCAA Indoor Championship. Matthews placed fifth in the 5,000m run, breaking her own school record with a time of 15:42.27, and also competed in the 3,000m run, placing 11th in the race. With her strong performances, Matthews became the first Terrier to earn two All-American titles in a single season.

Matthews will compete this weekend in the 10,000m, an event in which she placed eighth at the NCAA Outdoor Championships two seasons ago, earning a First Team All-American nod. Her personal best in the event is 33:16.97.

Junior Rich Peters will also likely turn in a highlight performance, competing in the 1,500m for the first time this season. Peters holds the school record in the event (3:42.69), and placed sixth in the NCAA Championship final last season.

Accompanying Peters in the 1,500m run will be senior Elliot Lehane and sophomore Ben Ravetz. Lehane and Ravetz competed in the event at the Shamrock Invitational two weekends ago, placing 10th (4:00.88) and 18th (4:03.61) respectively. Sophomore Ashli Tagoai and senior Nikki Long will compete on the women’s side in the 1,500m run.

Freshman Alec Olson will make his Terrier track debut in the 3,000m steeplechase. His classmate, Kevin Thomas, will compete in the 5,000m run. Perennial standout senior Robert Gibson will join Thomas for his outdoor season debut.

Junior Stuart Ross will run the 800m, in which he holds a personal best of 1:51.11.

Several Terriers will also compete at the Snowflake Classic on Saturday, hosted by Tufts University in nearby Medford.