Field Hockey, Ice Hockey, Soccer, Sports, Wrestling

Nancy Feldman named Mid-Atlantic Women’s Soccer Coach of the Year

Boston University women’s soccer coach Nancy Feldman has accumulated many honors during her storied 19-year career: 11 NCAA Tournament appearances, nine America East conference championships and nine America East Coach of the Year honors.

But the reigning Patriot League Coach of the Year might have received her biggest accolade to dateTuesday night, when Feldman was named the National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) Mid-American Women’s Coach of the Year.

As Regional Coach of the Year, Feldman is now eligible to receive votes for National Coach of the Year, which will be announced later this month.

Feldman had an extremely successful first campaign in the Patriot League conference, leading her team to a 15-4-4 record, an 8-1-0-conference record and the No. 25 spot in the final NSCAA regular-season rankings of the year.

In the NCAA tournament, Feldman led her team past Harvard University, 1-0, in the first round for the program’s second NCAA Tournament victory in three seasons. However, the Terriers’ season came to an end on Nov. 22, when BU lost to No. 9 Santa Clara University by a score of 2-1 in the second round.

Four Terriers Earn All-Region Honors

Feldman was not the only Terrier to receive accolades this week, as four players earned NSCAA All-Region honors Wednesday afternoon.

Senior midfielders Emma Clark and Kylie Strom were named to the first team, and sophomore defender McKenzie Hollenbaugh (second team) and freshman forward Erica Kosienski (third team) also secured awards for BU. The Terriers and U.S. Naval Academy led all schools with four All-Mid-Atlantic Region honorees each.

Clark, an All-League First Team recipient, started all 23 games for the Terriers and posted four points (one goal, two assists) on the year.

Strom, one of BU’s tri-captains this season, finished the year with seven points (two goals, three assists), including setting up the game-winning goal against the Crimson (12-4-2) in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

Hollenbaugh anchored a BU backfield that only allowed 6.4 shots per game and recorded a program-record 16 shutouts. This is the first time that the Glastonbury, Conn., native has earned All-Region honors.

The Patriot League Rookie of the Year, Kosienski led the Terriers with 18 points (eight goals, two assists), despite coming off the bench in all 23 contests. Seven of her goals were decisive game-winners.

Sperry named Hockey East Goaltender of the Month

BU women’s hockey senior goaltender Kerrin Sperry earned Hockey East Goaltender of the Month honors for November, the league office announced Wednesday. It is the second straight month she has received the award.

In the month of November, Sperry boasted a 1.50 goals-against average and a .944 save percentage. During her eight starts in net for the No. 9 Terriers (12-3-1, 8-0-0 Hockey East), Sperry had a 6-0-2 record and a 5-0-0 record in Hockey East play.

Sperry also had two shutouts in November: on Nov. 2, when BU beat the University of Vermont by a score of 6-0, and again in a 2-0 win on Nov. 15 against St. Cloud State University. She made 28 saves in each contest.

Her season GAA of 1.63 is the only average in the conference under 2.00. She also holds the best overall save percentage in the conference at .945. Sperry ranks ahead of Boston College netminder Corrine Boyles, who has posted a GAA of 2.03 and a save percentage of .926.

In 14 games played, Sperry has allowed more than two goals only twice, giving up three goals in back-to-back games to No. 2 University of Wisconsin on Nov. 16 and No. 5 Harvard University on Nov. 22.

Schieb earns All-America honors

Senior backer Ysi Schieb of the BU field hockey team was named to the Longstreth/National Field Hockey Coaches Association All-America Third Team Monday.

This season, Schieb co-captained a successful BU team that finished second in the Patriot League. As the leader of a defense that recorded six shutouts on the year, Schieb was named the Patriot League Defensive Player of the Year and also earned a spot on the All-Conference First Team. She was also a threat on the offensive side, tallying three goals and a BU-best seven assists for 13 points, third-best on the team.

The Gold Coast, Australia, native also participated in the NFHCA Division I All-Star Senior Game on Nov. 23.

Schieb is the fourth Terrier in the past three seasons to receive an All-America nod. Backer Jacinda McLeod was honored in both 2011 and 2012, while midfielder Ella Gunson was named to the second team in 2012.

Wrestling drops duels against Penn and Hofstra at Madison Square Garden

The Boston University wrestling team was unable to make it two straight days with a Terrier victory at Madison Square Garden, as BU was defeated by the University of Pennsylvania, 25-9, and Hofstra University, 35-6, Sunday morning in New York.

Seniors Nestor Taffur (157) and Kevin Innis each collected a pair of victories while junior Tyler Scotton (141) picked up a win against the Quakers (2-1).

BU (0-3) will have its hands full in its next match, as the Terriers will face off against three-time defending national champion and No. 1 Penn State University at Case Gym Friday night at Case Gym.