Lacrosse, Sports

Morse’s hat trick helps propel women’s lacrosse past Yale

The Boston University women’s lacrosse team took on Yale University Wednesday afternoon at Nickerson Field.

MAYA DEVEREAUX/DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF Senior attack Elizabeth Morse recorded a hat trick in BU’s 6-5 win over Yale.
Senior attack Elizabeth Morse recorded a hat trick in BU’s 6-5 win over Yale.

The Terriers (4-5, 3-0 Patriot League) came in having won their last two games, with their latest win coming over the then-No. 14 U.S. Naval Academy. Conversely, the Bulldogs (5-3) entered the contest on a two-game losing streak. Despite battling through winds that at points reached more than 30 miles per hour, BU emerged victorious by a score of 6-5.

“The players today had to fight through that wind,” said BU coach Liz Robertshaw. “That wasn’t easy. I can’t feel my feet, I know a lot of them can’t either. So I just think for both teams, Yale and BU, that’s a gutsy game right there that they played through.”

Yale won the draw to start the game, and both teams exchanged shots and turnovers for about eight minutes, as neither team grabbed momentum early on. Robertshaw called a timeout at the 23:20 mark to try to regroup her players.

BU came out of the timeout firing on all cylinders, and just a minute later the Terriers scored off a free-position shot from senior attack Elizabeth Morse.

The Terriers continued to play with aggression and at the 16:14 mark, BU extended the lead with a goal from sophomore midfielder Ally Adams.

On the other end of the field, the Bulldogs appeared frustrated and had trouble getting any sort of offense. After attack Nicole Daniggelis had her shot blocked just moments after BU’s second goal, the attack committed a foul and received a yellow card.

Later in the half, Morse took advantage of another free-position opportunity and scored at the 8:05 mark, making it 3-0 in favor of BU. Trying to get the swing in the other direction, Yale called a timeout.

After the quick respite, the Yale offense finally broke through as attack Tess McEvoy notched a goal at the 4:40 mark for the Bulldogs, her 11th of the season, cutting BU’s lead to just two.

No one scored for the remainder of the half, and at the break, the Terriers led the Bulldogs, 3-1.

BU won the draw to start the second, and immediately capitalized, with Morse scoring her third goal on the day, completing her hat trick and upping the score to 4-1.

“Though it [Morse’s game] was great,” Robertshaw said. “There were still some more chances she could’ve taken, she knows it. But I think it’s something-we saw more looks, which is what I’m happy with. Could we get more goals than six? I would like us to. But I think we saw better shots, and better shot opportunities.”

The Bulldogs would not give up though, and they continued to get shots off. Yale finally responded at the 22:08 mark in the second half when Daniggelis made it a two-goal game again.

Yale continued to play with a lot of intensity, but became foul-prone. As the penalties mounted, Yale started to back off the gas pedal. BU capitalized on Yale’s softer play, as redshirt sophomore attack Mallory Collins scored her 12th goal on the season, pushing BU’s lead back to three.

The Bulldogs would answer just three minutes later when attack Jen DeVito scored an empty-net free-position shot, making the score 5-3.

In response, senior midfielder Sydney Godett notched her fifth goal of the season with eight minutes to go to give BU a 6-3 cushion.

In the game’s final minutes, the Bulldogs attempted to fight their way back into the contest, first with DeVito scoring just three minutes after the Godett tally. Yale continued to press on, and then came away with a free-position goal with just 27 seconds left in the game.

It was too little, too late for the Bulldogs, however, and BU won the draw after Yale’s fifth goal and maintained possession to finish the game, winning 6-5.

One Comment

  1. I sent in an opinion about the lack of student and alumni support at BU athletic events.
    Was not able to find out if and when it was published. I e-mailed it about 7-10 days ago.

    Also, it’s very difficult checking your pages online.

    Can you please check on this?

    Thank you.

    Clark Broden, CAS ‘ 64