Multimedia, News, Orientation 2014

BU Student’s Guide to the T

As a student at Boston University, a primary way of getting around the city – aside from walking – will be public transportation. The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority runs subways, buses, commuter rails and boats that can get you anywhere you need to go in this city and its surrounding towns.

Students every day use the subway system. There are five subway lines: the Blue Line, the Green Line, the Orange Line, the Red Line and the Silver Line. The Green Line’s B train runs straight down Commonwealth Avenue, with multiple stops along BU’s campus. Kenmore Square, on the eastern border of BU’s campus, is the closest MBTA station where students can buy CharlieTickets, reload their CharlieCards and transfer to other Green Line routes.

Students can buy individual CharlieTickets, where rides will cost $2.60 each, or CharlieCards, where rides will cost $2.10 each.* Semester or monthly passes are also available for students who know they will be using the MBTA subways and buses on a regular basis. The MBTA subways begin running at 5 a.m. each day. On weeknights, they stop at 1 a.m., and on Fridays and Saturdays, subways run until 2:30 a.m.

Excited to explore Boston, but don’t want to look like a tourist while doing it? Have no fear! The Daily Free Press is here to teach you everything you’ll need to know about the MBTA subways. Click on the station stops on the map below to see popular destinations for BU students.

*These prices will be accurate after July 1 due to a May decision by the Department of Transportation to raise MBTA fare by 5 percent. Before July 1, prices are $2.50 a ride with the CharlieTicket and $2.00 a ride with the CharlieCard.