Crew & Rowing, Sports, Swimming & Diving, Tennis

Roundup: Men’s tennis competes in Tufts Invitational

PHOTO COURTESY OF STEVE MCLAUGHLIN/BU ATHLETICS
Sophomore Jay Leelavanich earned a singles win during the first day of last weekend’s Tufts Invitational. PHOTO COURTESY OF STEVE MCLAUGHLIN/BU ATHLETICS

This past week, the BU men’s tennis team was in action at the Tufts Invitational, where they matched up with Tufts University and Middlebury College on Saturday and Sunday.

During the first day of the two-day invitational, the Terriers finished with two wins and four losses in the A flight, while losing all four matches in the B flight. The lone singles win of the day came from sophomore Jay Leelavanich, who defeated sophomore Rob Jacobson from Tufts, while Leelavanich and sophomore Mario Sandoval earned a doubles win over Jacobson and teammate Ben Battle, 8-3.

BU fared better on the second day, as they had a record of 2-1 in the second-round A flight and a 2-1 record in the second-round B flight.

In the third round, the Terriers went 3-3 in the A flight and 2-1 in the B flight.

This was BU’s last match until Jan. 24, when they return to action against the College of the Holy Cross at the BU Tennis and Track Center.

Men’s rowing posts strong numbers at Princeton 3-Mile Chase

The Boston University men’s rowing team had a strong showing this past weekend at the Princeton 3-Mile Chase on Sunday in Princeton, New Jersey.

The Terriers snatched a third-place finish in the heavyweight eight and a first-place rank in the heavyweight four, adding to the team’s already strong season.

The team’s first varsity eight, coxed by senior Lauren Harvey and stroked by junior Vass Ragoussis, finished with a mark of 13:01.74, finishing in third place behind only Yale University and Princeton University, while finishing ahead of squads from Cornell University, the University of Pennsylvania, the United States Naval Academy and the University of California- Berkeley.

The Terriers’ boat got tangled behind the Golden Bears’ vessel while passing them in the final moments of the race. However, BU was able to surge past its opponents to cruise into a top-three time.

The Terriers followed up this performance by having their “A” boat finish first in its race. The “A” boat was coxed by Harvey and stroked by sophomore Fionnan McQuillan-Tolan and had a time of 14:24.52. The Terriers’ “B” boat led its respective pack and finished sixth overall, ahead of “A” boats from Cornell, Dartmouth College, Navy and Syracuse University.

BU will conclude its fall season on Nov. 22 at the Foot of the Charles Regatta.

Women’s rowing takes part in 3-Mile Chase

In the Princeton 3-Mile Chase Sunday in Princeton, New Jersey, the BU women’s rowing team put together an impressive showing by topping Princeton in the lightweight women’s varsity eight race.

Princeton had a rough day on the water as both the Terriers’ “A” and “B” boats finished ahead of the Tigers with times of 17:41.050 and 16:38.178, respectively. The finishes were good for 20th and 31st, each out of a field consisting of 50 teams.

The lightweights later competed in the varsity four competition, placing 10th in a group of 31 boats. With a time of 17:32.056, the Terriers were first among lightweights, ahead of Princeton (17:45.232) and Georgetown University (18:28.680), and better than top openweight boats from UPenn, Boston College, George Washington University and Georgetown University.

Men’s swimming and diving bests Minutemen

In a head-to-head matchup with the University of Massachusetts-Amherst on Monday, the BU men’s swimming team prevailed with a score of 187 to the Minutemen’s 113, giving the Terriers their third victory of the season.

Both senior Alec Pokornowski and freshman Quinn Smith posted career bests, and throughout ten events, eight Terriers set season-best marks.

In the 100m breaststroke, 100m freestyle and 100m butterfly, BU dominated, winning each of them.

The meet came down to the last two races, where the Terriers swept both the 400m individual medley — due to a strong performance from freshman Garrett Chin – and 200m freestyle medley.

Next up for the team is a meeting with Fordham University Nov. 8.

Women’s swimming and diving dominates against UMass

Keeping their undefeated season alive, the BU women’s swimming team defeated UMass at home by a score of 174.5-120.5.

In what may have been the Terriers’ most dominant win of the season, the team completed every event in first place aside from two breaststroke races.

Sophomore Sarah Hargrave continued her excellence in the 1000m freestyle as she won the event for the second week in a row, and junior Stephanie Nasson finished second with a season-best time 10:14:76.

BU also had season-best times set in the 200m butterfly and 50 freestyle by senior Avery Visser and senior Alexsa Savage, respectively.

Hargrave and Savage are both coming off seasons in which they were placed on the All-Patriot League Second Team. Hargrave was also named Patriot League Swimmer of the Week for the week of Oct. 21 due to her strong performance in a dual event, where she won the 500m freestyle and the 1,000m freestyle.

The women’s swimming team will be joining the men’s team at Fordham on Nov. 8.