Sarah Lefort drafted to the NWHL

Newly drafted winger Sarah Lefort is BU's second all-time leading scorer. DAILY FREE PRESS FILE PHOTO
Newly drafted winger Sarah Lefort is BU’s second all-time leading scorer. DAILY FREE PRESS FILE PHOTO

Boston University women’s ice hockey team senior forward Sarah Lefort was selected eighth overall by the Buffalo Beauts in the inaugural draft of the National Women’s Hockey League.

With a year of eligibility remaining, Lefort expects to return to the Terriers for her senior season and join the Beauts next October for the 2016 NWHL season.

Coming off of her second consecutive 50-point campaign, Lefort led BU to its fourth straight Hockey East championship alongside fellow Canadian and linemate Marie-Philip Poulin. The Ormstown, Quebec native logged 23 goals and 27 assists as a junior and led the nation with three hat tricks en route to a Hockey East Second Team selection. Additionally, she took sole possession of second place on the Terriers’ all-time scoring list with 79 goals and 148 points.

During her sophomore season, Lefort took on a greater burden while Poulin was competing in Sochi with the Canadian Olympic team. She did not shy away from the challenge, leading the country with 32 goals and earning unanimous Hockey East Player of the Year honors. Lefort topped off 2013-14 by becoming the first player in program history to place as a top-10 finalist for the Patty Kazmaier Award.

Lefort will enter the 2015-16 campaign as an assistant captain for BU coach Brian Durocher’s squad, which is looking to extend its streak of six consecutive NCAA Tournament berths.

Justin is a former Sports Editor for the Daily Free Press. In the past, he has covered the BU field hockey, men's basketball, women's hockey and women's lacrosse teams. Justin has interned at WEEI.com and serves as Editor-In-Chief of the Cleveland sports blog, Straight Down Euclid. Follow him on Twitter: @just_a_pal