Lacrosse, Sports

Men’s lacrosse loses first game in heated defensive battle

Christian Carson-Banister, one of the nation’s top goalies, allowed eight straight goals against the Bison that put the game out of reach for BU. PHOTO BY MADDIE MALHOTRA/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

The No. 15 Boston University men’s lacrosse team suffered its first loss of the season to Bucknell University Saturday afternoon at Nickerson Field.

After seven wins with at least eight goals in each game, the Terriers (7-1, 2-1 Patriot League) were held below that mark for the first time and consequently lost 12-6. On the other side, the Bison (3-4, 1-3 Patriot League) ended their four-game losing streak and got a much-needed first win in Patriot League play.

From the start, Bucknell was the aggressor on both ends of the field, outshooting the Terriers 16-14 in the first half and halting BU’s offensive advancements with a stout defense.

Still, the Terriers were able to stick around in the first half by stifling the Bison’s offensive attempts. BU was able to clear the ball successfully seven times in the first half, although they trailed by one at the end of the second quarter.

Returning from the halftime break, Bucknell came out with more energy, which translated into two goals.  

Despite Bucknell’s momentum, the Terriers were able to thwart several attempts by the Bison to clear the ball and score. However, the Bison were relentless, as they went on to score eight straight goals from the end of the second quarter to the final minutes of the fourth, crushing BU’s morale.

“We weren’t as strong on the ball as we have been,” said BU head coach Ryan Polley. “They were very balanced on offense, which forced us to defend all of their players rather than focusing on just one. It forced us to slide often.”

Bucknell then slowed down on offense to drain the Terriers defensively by moving the ball around the net and waiting for an opening to score.

Further aggravating the Terriers’ third quarter performance were several turnovers. BU was reckless with the ball at some moments, resulting in clumsy passes that gave the Bison easy opportunities on offense.

Trailing by three goals at the beginning of the fourth to an amped up Bucknell team, the Terriers controlled the ball on offense for the first 10 minutes of the final quarter. BU tried repeatedly to find a crevice in the Bison defense, but was unsuccessful in doing so, which led to frustration setting in.

“We’ve been composed in previous games, but today we played a little out of our comfort zone,” Polley said.

Bucknell stayed disciplined on defense and stifled the Terriers at every chance. Consequently, the Bison found an opportunity to regain possession and clear the ball forward for a dominant offensive performance to close out the game. Bucknell took advantage of a fatigued BU defense and was able to net four goals in the final quarter.

“Give [Bucknell] credit,” Polley said. “They played a great game and deserved to win today.”

The staggering difference between the two teams was defensive poise. Both teams shared a relatively equal aggressiveness on offense, albeit in several spurts. The Terriers shot 31 times throughout the whole game while the Bison shot 30.

However, the Terriers’ lackadaisical defensive pressure was rivaled by a forceful Bucknell defense. Bison defenders chased the Terrier attackers quickly, frequently swatting at them. Furthermore, Bucknell’s goalie, Christian Klipstein, was a stalwart between the pipes. Throughout the third quarter and the 10-minute offensive onslaught by the Terriers in the fourth, Klipstein grabbed 10 saves, adding to his game total of 16.  

Despite a seemingly phlegmatic defensive performance, Polley believes that offensive success and consistency are the right remedies for the team’s troubles.

“We went 30 minutes without scoring,” Polley said. “When we score, we restore our comfort and balance.”

The team visits Harvard University next Tuesday in an attempt to extend its undefeated streak on the road and shake off the loss against Bucknell.

“It’s just one game,” Polley said. “We’re still in a good position in the league. I know we’ll get better.”