BU alumna Marisa Moseley named new head coach of women’s basketball

Marisa Moseley was named the eighth head coach of the Boston University women’s basketball program, as announced by the director of athletics Drew Marrochello on Tuesday via press release.

“Marisa emerged from an outstanding group of candidates, and it became clear that she would be a perfect fit for this team and our department,” Marrochello said in the press release. “Her charisma and enthusiasm are contagious and her coaching pedigree speaks for itself. We are proud that she has chosen to be a Terrier again.”

Prior to returning to Commonwealth Avenue, Moseley was the assistant coach for the University of Connecticut women’s basketball team for nine years and helped the team amass a 331-14 record.

While with UConn, she helped the Huskies claim five NCAA titles and reach the Final Four in all of her nine years. Additionally three national players of the year and 11 All-Americans were coached under Moseley’s guidance.

The Springfield native, who graduated from BU in 2004, is the first alumna to become the head coach of the program.

“I am honored and humbled to be named the head women’s basketball coach at Boston University,” Moseley said. “I am excited to return to a place filled with wonderful memories and helped mold me into the person I am today.”

During her time with the Terriers, which included two years as captain, Moseley was a part of the 2003 squad that won the America East championship and the only team in program history to make it to the NCAA Tournament.

She was named to the America East Third Team All-Conference at the end of that season.

The defensive specialist also remains in BU’s record books with the sixth-highest career blocks (114).

“This is an exciting time to be a Terrier and I am confident that we will compete at the highest level both on the court and in the classroom,” Moseley said. “I feel privileged to lead this group of great young women in representing this prestigious institution. BU has had a great tradition of success in its athletic department and I am committed to contribute to that legacy.”

This news comes a little over a month after BU Athletics announced that former head coach Katy Steding would not be returning to the helm for the 2018-19 season.