Flick Critique: Heroes come in all shapes

No movie can take place without a protagonist, but what’s better than a good protagonist? An even better hero. Heroes are an essential aspect of major films, as they restore some faith in humanity and show that while not anyone can be a superhero, anyone can be a paragon for others. Here are five of the best heroes of all time.

Since this list is all about heroes, it only seems appropriate to start with superheroes. While Superman is debatably the most famous superhero of all time, Batman shows more heroic traits than any other. Growing up as a young orphan, Batman uses his exorbitant resources to serve as a masked vigilante. Even with no powers, Batman has been able to pull his weight through rigorous training and insanely cool gadgets. Nonetheless, it’s Batman’s moral code that makes him the best superhero of all time. After witnessing his parents’ death, Batman is a strong believer in not killing his opponents, choosing instead to turn them over to the authorities. This level of self-control and strong morality — along his many charitable donations as Bruce Wayne — makes Batman the ultimate superhero of all time.

Another superhero who also deserves a spot on the list has to be the young Peter Parker, also known as Spider-Man. While the many iterations of the Spider-Man movies have gone with different angles for the superhero, the main essence remains the same — an insanely intelligent young man uses his new powers to defeat evil. Unfortunately, like Batman, Spider-Man is no stranger to loss, as some of the most important people in his life are killed. While this makes Spider-Man question his purpose, he ultimately uses the pain as an impetus for his crime-busting. Although this is true of many superheroes, something about Spider-Man not being born with powers, but rather being thrown into a world he never expected and still choosing to help the world at such a young age, earns him a spot on the list.

Next on the list is perhaps the most iconic and beloved hero of all time, James Bond. While the infamous 007 has been portrayed by many different actors, each with a different approach, Bond will always remain everyone’s favorite English spy. While there is no set mold for the ideal hero, James Bond marks an entire different category of heroes — one of class and sophistication. No other hero has the power to beat up an entire army of villains, single-handedly disprove the famous saying that “the house always wins” and order his iconic martini — shaken, not stirred, of course — like Bond, James Bond. Regardless of the actor or the director, when audiences watch a Bond film, they know to expect Bond’s endless charm and allure.

Spartacus from Stanley Kubrick’s “Spartacus” is next on the list. While a slave, this valiant warrior refuses to yield to anyone who tries to abuse him, regardless of the power and influence they hold. To Spartacus, his core values are his honor and loyalty for his loved ones, regardless of the price. While these morals end up costing him his life, Spartacus prefers death to living a life of servitude and abuse, fighting anyone who stands in between him and his freedom or who endangers the life of his loved ones.

Perhaps the most unconventional hero on the list is Rocky Balboa from the “Rocky” saga. While he does not save lives like the rest on the list, Rocky shows a different meaning to the word “hero.” In his purest form, Rocky represents overcoming adversity, coming from nothing and becoming a major superstar, all while keeping his core values and loved ones close. This motif remains throughout all of the “Rocky” movies, each one showing the protagonist facing new obstacles and somehow finding the perseverance and determination to overcome them all. This mentality and approach to life is something audiences should adopt in their daily lives: not letting difficulties defeat oneself, but rather trying one’s best and never giving up.

Evidently, heroes come in all shapes and sizes. They can have powers, they can be suave and charming, or they can even just throw a mean jab and hook. Nonetheless, all heroes have a main trait in common: courage. These heroes show audiences that while it everyone can be them, it is this simple characteristic that can make anyone more heroic in their daily lives.

My name is Victoria Lara and I am a sophomore Biomedical Engineering student on the Pre-Medical track. I love watching films and I am passionate about social change. Follow me on Twitter @victoriaa_lara.