Second Turnpike Trophy goes to men’s soccer over Holy Cross, 1-0

Sophomore defender Max Aunger in a match against Northeastern University on October 2017. Aunger put up his first assist of the season in a 1-0 win over the College of the Holy Cross Wednesday evening. LEXI PLINE/ DFP FILE PHOTO

The Boston University men’s soccer team continued conference play in Worcester against Patriot League rival the College of the Holy Cross, snapping a two-game losing streak and taking home the Turnpike Trophy with a 1-0 win.

The Terriers’ (3-6-2, 2-1 Patriot League) defeat of the Crusaders (2-4-4, 1-1-1 Patriot League) gave them their first road game win this season.

BU head coach Neil Roberts said he was proud of his team for continuing to work hard and battle after a few tough losses in the past few games.

“They’ve been on the tough side of a couple,” Roberts said. “Tonight we were short-handed, and guys came through. It was pretty impressive to watch them try and keep their focus and do what we need them to do, it was a really good team effort.”

Both teams traded scoring opportunities in the opening minutes.

The Crusaders threatened in the 6th minute with a corner kick that was held off by the Terrier defense, while in the 7th minute, BU was able to fire a cross into the penalty box but were unable to convert.

Sophomore defender Elias Lampis, who was named to the Patriot League All-Conference Third Team last season, was able to contribute to the team’s defense for the first time this season after missing the first part of the season due to injury.

The Terriers drew first blood as freshman forward John Siracuse scored in the 14th minute when he was fed the ball in the penalty area by sophomore defender Maxwell Aunger.

Roberts expressed happiness for Siracuse as he scored first career collegiate goal on his first shot.

“It was nice, it helped us and it was a good goal,” Roberts said. “He fought for it, kept it alive and got it on target. I was happy for him.”

Assists also gave Aunger his first career point and brought junior midfielder Satchel Cortet into a three-way tie for mosts assists on the team with three.

BU almost scored again in the 24th minute, but junior midfielder Mana Chavali shanked the ball wide right on a wide-open net while Holy Cross goalkeeper Henry Stutz was caught outside the penalty box.

The Crusaders would attempt to take advantage of the offensive miscue in the 29th minute with a free kick just outside of the Terrier penalty box.

However, the shot by Holy Cross midfielder Max Krause would curl and take one hop into senior goalkeeper Mike Bernardi’s hands.

In the final five minutes of the first half, the Terriers would have two corner opportunities, but neither gave the BU offense a legitimate chance at a goal, and the score would remain 1-0 into halftime.

The second half started with the Crusaders sending a few crosses into the BU penalty box, but the Terrier defense was able to eliminate the threat each time.

The pressure from Holy Cross continued in the 63rd minute with a corner that was cleared from the box, but the Crusaders recovered possession and were able to force the ball back in front of the net where Holy Cross senior Owen Azrak fired off, but his shot was high and smashed off the crossbar.

In the 78th minute, Holy Cross pushed the ball back into the penalty box where Crusader forward Tyler Bell fired a shot toward the net when Bernardi had dove to the ground, but senior defender David Riccio was able to clear the shot and preserve the goal.

The Crusaders had 13 shots in the second half and six shots on-goal in the game, compared to BU’s eight total shots, but the Terrier defense was able to hold on.

Bernardi finished the game with five saves and Riccio had a defensive save to keep the Crusaders scoreless.

Roberts said the defense executed their game plan and forced Holy Cross to play a different style that the BU team matched up better with.

“We made it predictable so then it was just a matter of winning their battles,” Roberts said. “The way we wanted to play was have them just launch balls in … when teams do that, it’s a bit predictable, so it gives the defender a little bit of advantage. It was a good group effort.”