Wake Me Up Boston: A cup back in time

It’s been a while since I’ve acknowledged the star of this column, and I thought it would be best to dedicate this piece on the subject. Returning to my roots and the original inspiration behind my posts, I introduce to you: coffee. In honor of this heavenly beverage, I have allotted the rest of this space to discuss the origin of coffee and how it developed into a popular commodity on a social platform. Where did our obsession with this caffeinated drink emerge from? Good question.

The purest form of coffee is believed to have originated in Ethiopia in the early 15th century and then transported to Sufi monasteries in Yemen. Its earliest appearance is linked with Islamic society in the Middle East, where it was used purely for religious purposes such as staying alert and energized during long periods of prayer. Believed to be of medicinal value, coffee was treated as a cherished remedy in the Muslim community, much as 21st century Americans now regard their cups of joe on the brink of sunrise. After traveling from the Ottoman Empire, coffee arrived in Italy, notably Venice, until it reached the rest of Europe and then the Americas.

Interestingly, the word itself went through various transformations until it officially established itself in the English language as “coffee.” It began as “qahwa” in the Arabic language, merging into “kahve,” according to the Ottoman Turks, and most closely associated with the English word, it was known as “koffie” by the Dutch in 1582.

Long ago were the superpowers of coffee discovered, functioning as a miraculous drug with a stimulating effect unbeknownst to the population. The cure to our morning fatigue and late night cram sessions lies in tiny red berry forms growing on trees, in which a seed in the center is fermented in preparation for the final process of roasting. If it weren’t for the Boston Tea Party in 1773 and our immense frustration with the British, we most probably wouldn’t have felt such a compelling urge to switch from tea to coffee to spite our newfound foes.

Fast-forwarding a bit, we find ourselves in the modern era, where coffee becomes a source of profit in coffeehouses, a place to gather and discuss worldly politics and daily occurrences. Dating back to the origin of European coffeehouses in 1645, intellectual discourse and debate has always been commonplace, continuing to serve the same purpose in our popular cafes today. Specifically in the 1960s, we start to see the growth of niche cafes populating the United States, mimicking those of the Italian coffeehouses that served espressos and pastries galore in places like New York City and Boston’s own North End.

Arguably the most pivotal coffeehouse establishment in modern history is Seattle’s Starbucks chain, symbolizing the epitome of American coffee culture in a hip, bar-like setting offering espressos of every kind. The idea of plain black coffee distilled into a paper cup is harshly rejected — coffee roasting and coffee consuming has developed into a meticulously curated art. The Starbucks phenomenon has paved the way for the “coffee shop era,” introducing a new wave of consumers and appreciation for this wondrous delight that has resulted in its distribution almost everywhere you go. There is something to be said about the coffee you prefer offering a deeper glimpse into your identity — we take pride in our individual coffee tastes as an artistic representation of ourselves within society.

And on that note, Starbucks always comes before Dunkin’. End of story.

Coffee is my lifeline, every morning, afternoon and night—and occasionally in between. Find me café hopping with my nose buried in a book and a cappuccino by my side for good company. I’ll never pass up a chance to explore this adventure-packed city and its unique, bustling yet mellow culture.