Burke’s Bully Pulpit: Democrats need to run new face

If the Democrats run Sen. Bernie Sanders, former Vice President Joe Biden or Sen. Elizabeth Warren in 2020, President Donald Trump will win another term. It may sound backward, but giving a lifelong politician a shot at the presidency against Trump is not a smart move. The Democrats need an outsider, someone who seemingly has no idea what they’re really doing but is charming and warm to the public. They need someone who says what the country wants to hear. Also, they probably shouldn’t be over 70 years old. How can people like me relate to someone like that? If they bring in a fresh face that young voters could relate to, they will have a better chance than they presently do (see: Bill Clinton and Barack Obama).

The Democrats could run a celebrity against Trump for all I care. This whole thing is a joke anyway, so we might as well just sit back and enjoy the show. With Trump in the race, all orthodox methods of running a campaign should be thrown out the window. Maybe the Democrats should run a comedian, because Trump can’t seem to handle a joke without freaking out. That would be nice. Not only would we get to see a funny person in office, we would get crazy Trump. It’s a win-win if you ask me. Where’s Tom Segura?

In all honesty, I think it would be unfair for Democrats to unleash a lifelong politician in the 2020 presidential race. I don’t think they have a chance of winning. It would be a waste of their time because Trump belittles people to the point where independent voters find themselves not   knowing who to believe. It’s not a great moral strategy, but it sure is working for him. I really think that the only person who would have a chance to replace Trump is someone with no prior experience holding public office. Let some billionaire go out there and speak his mind.

Please, please, for the love of all things that are good, do not nominate Elizabeth Warren to run against Trump. I like what she stands for, in principle, but the way she goes about speaking her mind reminds me a lot of Hillary Clinton, and we all know how that turned out. Hillary was unlikable. She spoke like a robot and had no sense of humor. I get the same vibe from Elizabeth Warren. If you think Trump harping on Clinton’s emails was bad, wait until you hear him talk about Warren’s Native American ancestry. It would be next-level terrible.

For Joe Biden, it would be best if he just sat this one out. Biden was super charismatic when he was the vice president, but now, the shtick seems a bit played out. In addition to that, there were articles claiming that Biden was creepy to women during his time in power. I saw some of the videos. It was easy to see why people saw him as creepy. I would like to hope that wasn’t his intent, but you really never know in this day in age. That would be a low-hanging fruit for Trump to attack him on, and it would surely convince his supporters that he was creepy, which is hysterically ironic.

Bernie Sanders got the short end of the stick in 2016. I think, regardless of what his policies were, he would have had a better chance of beating Trump than Clinton. He inspired young people to go out and vote and to stand for what they believed in. I just think his time has passed, and running him now would be like calling a 35-year-old minor leaguer to Major League Baseball and calling him your new star. It just doesn’t make any sense.

The whole thing is a giant mess, and I’m not sure how the Democrats are going to fix it, but I am intrigued. I can’t wait to see what wacky direction we go in next! Tune in to the next episode of American Politics, coming soon to directly affect your life.