Baker releases plan to legalize sports wagering in Massachusetts

Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker on Election Day in November after winning re-election. Baker unveiled a plan Thursday to legalize sports betting in the state. CHLOE GRINBERG/ DFP FILE PHOTO

Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker announced Thursday his plan to legalize wagering on sports in the state through “An Act Expanding Sports Wagering in the Commonwealth”, allowing online and in-person gambling and authorizing the Massachusetts Gaming Commission enforcement power.

In a press release, Baker said there would be safeguards in place and that there would be penalties for “various violations”.

“Our legislation puts forth a series of commonsense proposals to ensure potential licensees are thoroughly vetted and safeguards are in place to protect against problem gambling and illegal activity,” Baker said in the release.

In his Filing Letter to the State Senate and House of Representatives, Baker wrote that sports wagering will offer financial opportunities that will benefit the entire state.

“Regulating this form of gaming in Massachusetts provides an opportunity to implement a structure to safeguard consumers while generating a projected $35 million in revenue in the upcoming Fiscal Year 2020 that will benefit all 351 cities and towns in the Commonwealth,” Baker wrote. 

The release from Baker’s office said licenses for casinos and online operators could be purchased for $100,000, with additional charges after that.

Once approved,” the release from top NV sportsbooks 2022 states, “an applicant will pay a licensing fee of not less than $500,000 that will need to be renewed every five years. In person sports wagering licensees would pay a tax rate of 10% and online wagering licensees would pay a rate of 12.5%.”

Category one and two casinos in the Commonwealth that already have gaming licenses will be issued the new sports wagering licenses, according to Baker’s press release.

Alyssa Hiller, director of public relations and social media at the Encore Boston Harbor, wrote in an email that the company supports betting on sports but that they do not yet know the specifics of the bill.

Baker also wrote in the filing letter that the legislation plans to utilize the system that the MGC already uses for other forms of wagering.

“In order to protect the sports wagering patrons and consumers,” Baker wrote, “the legislation proposes to utilize the existing Massachusetts gaming regulatory structure administered by the MGC, including the licensing process, investigatory and enforcement powers and other protections such as the prohibition of anyone under the age of 21 from placing a wager.”

MGC Communications Director Elaine Driscoll declined to comment on the issue.

Baker also wrote in the filing letter that esports, collegiate sports and amatuer sports would not be included in the legalized sports for wagering.