MBTA violent crime rates decreased in 2018

Violent crime on the MBTA decreased by 5 percent from 2017 to 2018. BRIAN SONG/ DFP FILE

The MBTA had record low levels of violent crime last year, with the rate decreasing by 5 percent according to the Boston Globe. This corresponds with an overall decline in violent crime citywide, as statistics released by the Boston Police Department show a 4 percent decrease from 2017 to 2018.

Transit Police superintendent Richard Sullivan wrote in an email that these decreases in part one crimes — which include felonies such as murder, rape, assault, burglary and arson — were the “direct result” of a new transit officer patrol plan implemented in March 2016 under the leadership of Transit Police Chief Kenneth Green.

“Coupled with the dedication, commitment, and professionalism of the men and women of the Transit Police, the MBTA has experienced the lowest crime rate in our history,” Sullivan wrote. “We have maintained that low level of crime for 36 continuous months.”

District 2 City Councilor Ed Flynn said he was proud of the Transit Police and that the agency will continue working with residents to ensure passenger safety.

“The MBTA Police is doing an excellent job,” Flynn said. “I am working closely with the MBTA Police, with Boston Police, State Police, neighborhood organizations and riders of the T to make sure we have a police public safety officials that continue to address safety issues in the MBTA.”

Jack McDevitt, the director of Northeastern University’s Institute on Race and Justice and a professor of criminal justice, said while he has not specifically studied the transit police, he would imagine that they experienced the same decline in violent crime that BPD has experienced.

“Most cities are at a 30-year low at their crime rates, and Boston is, as well,” McDevitt said. “I think it has a complex relationship, it has to do with a better relationship with the community, it has to do with better tactics, respectful policing, more diversity, there’s a whole bunch of reasons, it’s not one.”

Daniel Medwed, a Northeastern professor of law and criminal justice, wrote in an email that while the MBTA crime statistics do correspond with national trends, the Transit Police should still be commended for instituting more “holistic policing methods” in their interactions with students and the greater community.

“Forging stronger links between the police and the communities they serve can certainly help curb crime and encourage reporting when incidents do arise,” Medwed wrote. “The ability of the police to listen and respond to community concerns going forward is vital.”

South Boston resident Luke Westcom, 34, said while he has noticed an increase in police patrols on the T and lives in a safe neighborhood, the Transit Police could work toward bolstering their police presence in parts of Boston with higher crime rates.

“There’s always room for improvements,” Westcom said. “Some of the neighborhoods who aren’t as known for their safety should probably see an increase in safety, in the officers being in the stations.”

Daniel Ferm, 29, of Allston, said because he had not yet witnessed a crime or an emergency on the T, he is unsure of the proper response protocol that bystanders and authorities should follow. He said he thinks the Transit Police could work to explain the process to the public.

“I don’t know what the procedure would be if something does happen on a train,” Ferm said. “Or if something did happen on a station, it’s not like I see tons of people around. There are conductors, there are people walking around that are supposed to help you. In theory there should be, but I haven’t seen it in practice.”

Sullivan, the Transit Police commissioner, wrote that he and the rest of his officers would not grow complacent and would continue improving their protection of MBTA workers and passengers.

“We are very proud of our officers and will not rest on our accomplishment,” he wrote. “We will steadfastly carry out our mission and maintain the safest system as possible.”