Flick Critique: The best animated Disney films

Disney’s films frequently turn into box office hits. However, few movies have reached a level of fame and pop culture status as the list below. Due to Disney’s vast collection of amazing movies, this list will exclude any Disney-Pixar Studio films.

Here are five of Disney’s best animated films ever made.

Starting off this list is perhaps one of Disney’s most famous films of all time, “The Lion King.” Based on William Shakespeare’s “Hamlet,” this Disney film is a bit more kid-friendly than the dark work of classic English literature.

While it is certain that everyone shed some tears during the film, audiences cannot help but remember the first time they watched the movie and their immediate connection to the famous movie.

Whether it’s the movie’s catchy tunes or its timeless themes of family, growing up, identity and good versus evil, “The Lion King” has touched viewers across generations and has shaped Disney films ever since.

“Tarzan” is up next on the list with its unique plot and memorable Phil Collins soundtrack. Even if someone does not like this film, it is almost certain they will have “You’ll Be In My Heart” stuck in their head after watching this film.

This film develops some themes many may consider more serious for Disney, such as nature versus nurture, identity and racial inequality. At first, Tarzan is neither fully human or gorilla. His human form keeps some gorillas from welcoming him into the gorilla family, while his animal-like behavior makes him pray for the intolerant and violent Clayton.

However, by the end of the movie, Tarzan manages to forge his own identity and embrace the fact that he will always be both human and gorilla, a realization that is embraced by the gorilla troop and Jane, as she chooses to stay in the jungle. This film’s creative story and killer soundtrack come together to create one of Disney’s most influential movies.

Next on the list, and the only film here featuring a Disney princess, is “Aladdin.” Not only did this movie show the disparities among social classes, it also featured a woman of color. Jasmine provided a new image to the typically passive Disney princess — while she loves her father deeply, she finds his overprotectiveness exhausting.

All she desires is some independence. Jasmine is strong, unyielding and resilient, refusing to give up on her dreams or succumb to anyone standing in her way. Additionally, the film’s soundtrack and the Genie’s outlandish personality perfectly add to the already amazing film to create one of Disney’s finest movies of all time.

“Hercules,” perhaps one of Disney’s most underrated films, is up next on this list. A movie combining Greek mythology, a dark love story and an awe-inspiring soundtrack can be hard to pull off. Nonetheless, Disney managed to combine all of these elements to create one of the best films of all time. Although the creepy scenes of the underworld may be disturbing for some children, Disney was able to offset the scary tone with an extravagant Mount Olympus.

To close off the list is everyone’s favorite girl and alien duo, “Lilo and Stitch.” This movie has taught viewers that a family unit can take on many shapes and sizes. In Lilo’s case, her family unit is her sister and alien pet, which, while unconventional, keeps her safe and loves her more than anything.

Additionally, while Stitch feels rejected and ostracized by everyone, he finally finds a home with Lilo and her sister. In the end, no matter how many people try and keep this family apart, they manage to remain together by teaching the naysayers about tolerance and acceptance.

Disney’s animated movies have influenced younger generations through their use of entertaining storytelling. However, after deeply analyzing some of these films’ themes, one can see how Disney instills important values in tomorrow’s future leaders and encourages a focus on interpersonal relationships, whether it be friends or family.

These core values, along with attempting to establish a deeper sense of self, have resulted in many extremely creative films that have been hailed by critics and viewers alike.

My name is Victoria Lara and I am a sophomore Biomedical Engineering student on the Pre-Medical track. I love watching films and I am passionate about social change. Follow me on Twitter @victoriaa_lara.