World of Literati: Censoring books prohibits compassion and empathy

High school readings are often questioned because adults are concerned that certain content is not appropriate for children to read. This content includes sexually explicit scenes, violence, racism, drugs, suicide, homosexuality and more.

A few of the books that have been challenged in 2017, according to the American Library Association, are “Thirteen Reasons Why” by Jay Asher, “The Hate U Give” by Angie Thomas and “I am Jazz” by Jessica Herthel and Jazz Jennings.

Even though these books are not difficult to come by in stores, they have been banned from school curriculums and libraries. This presents a problem since there are students who won’t read unless books are readily available.

Moreover, required reading allows reluctant students to be exposed to literature, which is why it’s important that books in the curriculum represent a multitude of diverse topics. This ensures that students learn about various ideas and differing perspectives. This cannot be done if every book with even a slightly controversial idea is banned.

Prohibiting books that contain sexually explicit situations, violence or drugs is prohibiting students’ chances to learn and talk about these topics. Simply because a novel has a sexual assault scene or a violent scene does not mean that this behavior is being condoned by the teachers — but it does provide an avenue for students to safely engage with these very real, very relevant problems.

Books are an amazing source of companionship for students who feel misunderstood. It can be gratifying for them to connect with similar struggles and to see their thoughts reflected back to them. Removing novels that deal with questions of race, gender, sexuality and mental health is to deny students that sense of comfort.

Furthermore, it perpetuates a troubling message that one race, sexuality or gender is superior to others. It also robs students of an opportunity to learn about these struggles if they are unfamiliar with them. Being educated about different types of people and the challenges they face is how they foster empathy and compassion. Students should not be denied this experience.

Censoring books that have a different message than what is considered the “norm” teaches students that it is acceptable to shut down anything or anyone that has an opposing opinion. Different ideas and viewpoints are necessary if one is to have an insightful discussion on any subject.

It is crucial to a student’s development to encounter contrasting points of views. How are students expected to engage with people very different from themselves if they were never encouraged to learn about other ideas?

While it is natural that parents are concerned over the subject matter that their child learns in school, denying them information because they feel it is “unsuited” seems condescending. It sends the message of, “I don’t think you’re mature enough to handle this,” which is very discouraging for students to hear.

Also, students are never going to develop the maturity and knowledge needed to broach these themes if they are kept ignorant about them.  

One of the more powerful and effective solutions to book-banning, or any issue of censorship, is simply to discuss the topic at hand. Creating a better and more open form of communication between the students, teachers and parents would allow all sides to be heard.

Hopefully, compromises can be made. All three parties’ participation is important for the learning process, so it is critical to validate each and bridge the gaps between them.

The more books we ban from schools, the more we stunt potential for development and conversation. It is imperative that students be given the opportunity to learn about and discuss difficult and controversial subjects. Otherwise, a great disservice has been done by neglecting to provide a space for them to learn and grow.