Disputed call in third period leads to 2-1 loss for women’s hockey

Natasza Tarinowski in a Oct. 2018 game game against UNH. Tarinowski scored the Terriers’ lone goal in their 1-2 loss against Providence College. Maisie Mansfield-Greenwald/ DAILY FREE PRESS STAFF

In their last game of the season before the Hockey East quarterfinals, the Boston University women’s hockey team fell at home to Providence College Saturday after a Terrier goal in the third period that would have tied the game was overturned.

“We played really hard from the middle of the game on,” said BU (19-7-8, 15-6-6 Hockey East) head coach Brian Durocher. “We didn’t get that goal in the third period that would’ve tied the game, but some credit goes to Providence, some of it goes to a little bit of luck here and there, and some of it goes to their goaltender.”

The two teams, who came into Saturday’s game within four points of each other in the Hockey East standings, played a quiet first five minutes with few shots on goal by either side.

At the 13:15 mark, Friar forward Maureen Murphy took a penalty for hooking sophomore forward Jesse Compher. This would give BU the opportunity they needed to open the scoring books and get ahead 1-0.

Junior forward Natasza Tarnowski took a pass from senior defender and tri-captain Reagan Rust, and poked the puck in through the bottom right corner of the goal. This was Tarnowski’s ninth goal on the season, as well as Rust’s ninth assist on the season.

The opening stanza would finish with BU keeping their 1-0 advantage. Providence (22-10-2, 16-9-2 Hockey East) outshot BU 13-5 in the period, despite the Terries keeping the pressure up in front the enemy net just as much as Providence did.

BU sophomore netminder Corinne Schroeder made two quick saves to open the first two-and-a-half minutes of the second stanza, but sophomore forward Kristina Schuler got put into the penalty box for checking right after.

Now, it was the Friars who had a power play opportunity to score — and like the Terriers in the first, they did just that.Providence forward Christina Putigna lit the lamp for her side at the 2:34 mark, off assists from defenders Avery Fransoo and Kate Friesen.

The pressure continued to stay even on both sides, with one instance close to the 12 minute mark when Providence goalie Madison Myers made a save. Seven seconds later, PC would bring the puck over to BU territory and attempt a shot, though Schroeder was up to the task.

The 7:55 mark saw Providence jump out to take the lead. PC defender Whitney Dove made a slapshot from the right side of the BU net, and the airborne puck got by Schroeder. Forward Meaghan Rickard got the assist on the shot setup.

The period would end with Providence keeping their lead. As play pushed into the third period, the Terriers made many efforts on goal to tie the game back up.

With about 10 minutes remaining in the period, BU found themselves down in a three-versus-five situation. In the final seconds of the three versus five, Providence got charged with a penalty, putting the teams at even strength for a period of time followed by 45 seconds of a BU power play.

Despite advantages for both teams, though, neither managed to score.

With about six minutes to play in regulation, junior forward Deziray De Sousa shot the puck into the Providence goal just as the whistle was blown. After a long review, however, the goal was called back — much to the displeasure of the home fans in attendance at Walter Brown Arena.

Durocher explained what the referees told him during the review.

“My explanation was a little funny,” Durocher said. “The puck was hit by a Providence player, and I asked if it was the goalie or a skater, and they couldn’t give me the answer.”

BU played aggressively with one minute remaining in the period. With her team’s net empty, Compher took a shot that flew high above the goal.

Later, a scrum in front of the PC net — after a gloved puck from Myers — resulted in a stoppage of play. Despite the physicality, as well as some shoving between the two teams before the whistle was blown, no penalties were given, again to the distaste of the Walter Brown fans.

A shot from junior defenseman Abby Cook that hit the right pipe of the PC net would be the last attempt BU would have on goal before going down by a score of 2-1.

BU will move on to the Hockey East quarterfinals Friday, where they will take on the University of New Hampshire (13-15-6, 10-14-3 Hockey East) at Walter Brown Arena.

Durocher said the team will be well-prepared to overcome what he thinks was a Beanpot hangover and will be ready to play aggressively.

“We’ve got to be the aggressors, we’ve got to be assertive next week,” Durocher said. “We don’t want to dig ourselves into a hole.”